Benefits of this season ticket
- 20% discount during peak hours
- 40% discount during off-peak hours
- 40% discount on weekends
- 40% discount for 3 travel companions
- Free personal OV-chipkaart
Discount travel with Altijd Voordeel
With the Altijd Voordeel season ticket, you can travel with a 20% discount during peak hours, or a 40% discount during off-peak hours and at the weekend. That way, you always travel with a discount when using the train.
- 40% discount for 3 travel companions.
- Discounts with other Dutch rail carriers and on Dutch sections of InterCity Berlin and ICE International routes.
- Only € 10 balance needed to check in
- Free personal OV-chipkaart with an annual season ticket
Benefits of an NS season ticket
- Free copy of Spoor magazine 5x per year with interesting offers.
- Exclusive offers for season ticket holders.
- Manage your season ticket with a single, convenient overview in Mijn NS.Easily find your journeys in your travel history, and request refunds for delays or when you forget to check out.
- 25% discount on international travel with RAILPLUS, for an extra € 15 per year.
- Discounts on GreenWheels car sharing and Q-Park P+R parking facilities.
- Free Kids Vrij. Children travel with you for free (order separately).
When is the discount valid?
during peak hours with 20% discount
from Monday to Friday between 06:30 and 09:00 and between 16:00 and 18:30.
During off-peak hours with 40% discount
from Monday to Friday between 09:00 and 16:00 and between 18:30 and 06:30.
At the weekend with 40% discount
from 18:30 on Friday evening until 06:30 on Monday morning.
On holidays with 40% discount
all day long.
If you check in during off-peak hours, but check out during peak hours, then you still receive a 40% discount.
Extra discount for senior citizens
If you are 60 years old or older, then the Dal Voordeel is an even better deal! With the Optional Days, you can travel all day long anywhere in the Netherlands by train up to 7 times per year, for only € 24.50 extra. Your Optional Days are valid any day of the week (weekdays after 09:00). Optional Days can be ordered together with your season ticket.
Get more out of your season ticket
Several supplements are available with season tickets, offering you even more NS services. Store your bicycle on account, without separate season ticket expenses; rent an OV-fiets bicycle at more than 300 locations in the Netherlands; or travel without a supplement on the Intercity Direct between Rotterdam Centraal and Schiphol.
Discount on bus, tram and metro services
Exclusive to Altijd Voordeel: permanent 20% discount on bus, tram and metro services for just € 11 per month.
Good to know
You will receive your new personal OV-chipkaart for free with an annual season ticket. For a monthly season ticket, you will be charged a €7.50 for a new OV-chipkaart.
Your new OV-chipkaart (with your season ticket) will be delivered to your home within one week.
Season ticket within one day with an existing OV-chipkaart
If you already have your own personal OV-chipkaart (with photograph), then enter the OV-chipkaart number when ordering your season ticket. You can then download your season ticket within one working day from an NS Ticket Machine. That way, you can travel with a discount right away!
Season ticket term
You may choose from an annual season ticket or a season ticket that automatically expires after one month. An annual season ticket will save you more money in the long run.
Annual season ticket
After the first year, you can cancel your season ticket at the end of each month. We will then refund any amount you have remaining on your account.
You also have the option of switching to a more expensive season ticket during the first year.
You pay for your season ticket on a monthly basis. You can pay the season ticket costs for the first month quickly and securely via your own bank using iDeal. Your first payment completes the order process and confirms your banking details. The remaining season ticket costs will automatically be debited from your bank account each month.
If you would rather pay your season ticket costs with one lump sum, then you can pay the entire amount via iDeal.
If you do not have iDeal, but you do have a personal OV-chipkaart, you can order a season ticket by telephone. NS Customer Service is available 24 hours per day.
Download the season ticket product conditions.
Other customers also viewedCheck all season tickets
- 40% discount on weekends
- 40% discount during off-peak hours
- Unlimited travel along a select route
- 40% discount on other routes
- Unlimited travel on weekends
- Unlimited travel during off-peak hours
- Unlimited travel during peak hours
About your travel class
When ordering, you must choose whether you wish to travel 1st or 2nd class. The price of the season ticket is the same for both. The price of your journey is determined by applying the discount you are entitled to to the base price of the journey. This base price is higher for 1st class.
The price of a one-way ticket from Utrecht Centraal to Amsterdam Centraal is € 7.50 in 2nd class. With 40% discount you pay € 4.50. In 1st class this journey costs € 12.80. With 40% discount you pay € 7.70.
It is always possible to swap classes for a day. You can do this at the ticket machine. More information about swapping classes.
More information about Optional days
- 7 x one day of extra cheap travel by train anywhere in the Netherlands
- Valid all day during the weekend and on holidays
- During the week you may travel after 9.00
- Valid for all Dutch train carriers (within the Netherlands)
Optional days can be ordered by anyone who is 60 years old or older, with a Dal Voordeel or Altijd Voordeel season ticket.
How does it work?
You order your Optional days with your season ticket or via Mijn NS. You get 7 Optional days per year. 1 Optional day is valid all year and 6 Optional days must be used one every 2 months. Unused Optional days expire.
Loading onto an OV-Chipkaart
- Go to the ticket machine with your OV-chipkaart
- Hold your OV-chipkaart against the card reader at the bottom right of the screen
- Choose ‘Ophalen Keuzedag’ (The fourth button in the left column)
- Click on ‘akkoord’
- Hold your OV-chipkaart against the card reader again
Your Optional day is now loaded onto your OV-chipkaart. You can start your journey by checking in on your Optional day.
OV Voordeel: discounts on bus, tram and metro
With OV Voordeel, you receive a 20% discount in the bus, tram and metro. OV Voordeel can be purchased on a flexible monthly basis, and you can add it to your OV-chipkaart at any NS ticket machine. Use it to check in and out with the bus, tram or metro and you will automatically receive a 20% discount. OV Voordeel is only available in combination with an Altijd Voordeel season ticket. The season ticket product conditions apply to the OV Voordeel season ticket.
Extra season tickets
For some season tickets, it is possible to order one or more extra season tickets. These are called 'additional season tickets'.
What are additional season tickets?
You can order an additional season ticket for an adult or child living at the same address. These additional season tickets are not available separately, but must always be linked to an NS season ticket. They are renewed automatically, but can be cancelled with one month's notice after the first year.
Which additional season tickets are available?
- Dal Voordeel and Altijd Voordeel. 3 x free Kids Vrij season ticket.
- Weekend Vrij. 3 x free Kids Vrij season ticket. And an extra Weekend Vrij season ticket for up to 1 other family member.
- Dal Vrij. 3 x free Kids Vrij season ticket. And an extra Weekend Vrij or Dal Vrij season ticket for up to 1 other family member.
- Altijd Vrij or OV Vrij. 3 x free Kids Vrij season ticket. And an extra Altijd Vrij, Dal Vrij or Weekend Vrij season ticket for up to 4 other family members. Or a maximum of 3 free Kids Vrij season tickets for the 4 additional season tickets.
How to order
If you already have an OV-chipkaart or a season ticket, then you can order an additional season ticket via Mijn NS. If your family member or child does not have an OV-chipkaart, or if the OV-chipkaart will expire within 8 weeks, then you can order a new card along with the season ticket at no extra charge.
Once your order is complete, you will receive a confirmation via e-mail telling you how to download the season ticket at an NS ticket machine or other OV-chipkaart top-up point.
Your additional season ticket will always start on the same day of the month that your main season ticket begins. We will need to receive your application no later than 2 weeks prior to this date.
Travelling during national holidays
Which national holidays does NS celebrate?
- Good Friday
- Ascension Day
- 5 May (next holiday in 2020)
- Christmas and Boxing Day
- New Year's Day
If you have a Weekend Vrij season ticket,
then you can travel for free for the entire day on holidays.
If you have a an other season ticket
then you can enjoy the same discount when you travel on holidays.
The periods below are subject to the normal peak and off-peak hours, including when using Optional Day tickets:
- Friday after Ascension Day
- During the months of July and August 2017
- Between Christmas and New Year's Day