The night trains allow you to travel quickly and comfortably at night. In the Randstad, night trains run every night.
Where and when do the night trains run?
The special night trains allow you to travel by train at night. In the Randstad, the night trains run every night, while in other parts of the country they only run on the weekend. See the NS Travel Planner for the exact departure and arrival times, and check your route before departure to see the most up-to-date travel information.
The night trains run:
- In the Randstad: every night
- From Rotterdam via Den Haag Hollands Spoor, Leiden, Schiphol Airport, Amsterdam Centraal to Utrecht Centraal: every night
- Between Utrecht and Amersfoort: on Friday and Saturday nights, with connections to and from the Randstad in Utrecht
- Between Utrecht and Arnhem/Nijmegen: on Friday and Saturday nights
- Between the Randstad and the provinces of Groningen and Drenthe, an extra late train runs on Friday and Saturday nights.
In addition, extra late trains run on the routes below on Friday and Saturday nights (departure times around 01:00)
- Amsterdam – Amersfoort – Deventer (to Zwolle, with transfer in Amersfoort)
- Amsterdam – Haarlem
- Amsterdam – Alkmaar
- Utrecht – Rotterdam
- Rotterdam – Eindhoven
- Utrecht – Eindhoven
- Rotterdam – Utrecht – Amersfoort – Zwolle (to Deventer with transfer in Amersfoort, or to Arnhem/Nijmegen with transfer in Utrecht)
How often do the night trains run?
- Night trains run after the last train of the day has left, until the first train in the morning.
- Night trains run once every hour along the route.
- On the night of 31 December to 1 January, the night train schedule starts at around 01:00.
How can you pay for the night trains?
A ticket for the night train costs the same as a ticket for the regularly scheduled train. Simply check in and out with your OV-chipkaart or NS-Business Card. If you do not have an OV-chipkaart or NS-Business Card, you can purchase an e-ticket or a single-use chipkaart at an NS Ticket Machine or Service Desk.
When is your ticket valid
Your ticket is valid from 0.00 on the date of travel until the 4.00 on the following morning. If you are traveling on the night train and you departed before 4.00, then you can continue your journey using the same ticket. See the NS Travel Planner for the exact departure and arrival times.
- Not all bicycle lockup facilities are open 24 hours.
- We cannot guarantee assistance to open defective luggage lockers at night.
- Taxis are available at night at the stations Amsterdam Centraal, Rotterdam Centraal and Den Haag Centraal.