Refunds for delays
- When do I qualify for a refund? When you have been delayed 30 minutes or more.
- How much will I be refunded? The refund amount is based on the fare paid.
- How do I apply for a refund? By completing a refund form available at any NS Service Desk, Wizzl convenience store or Kiosk shop in NS train stations.
- Refunds after delay of Intercity direct Amsterdam-Breda When you have been delayed 15 minutes or more.
When do I qualify for a refund?
The refund policy applies
- If you arrive at your destination station 30 or more minutes late as a result of an NS delay, irrespective of the cause of the delay.
- On all domestic NS journeys.
- To certain extra tickets/passes, such as Railrunners and Bicycle Day Travel tickets.
The refund policy does not apply
- If the amount to be refunded is less than euro 2.20.
- If the request is done more than 3 month's after the day of travelling.
- If NS communicated the extended journey time in advance. Information on track works can be found at Changes In Rail Traffic. Teletext page 754 and www.9292ov.nl also contain information concerning interruptions due to tracks works and other circumstances.
- If the delay occurred while travelling with other carriers such as Arriva and Syntus.
- When the delay is due to forces of nature (thunderstorms causing power outages, flooding, earthquakes, etc.)
- On international journeys.
Calculating your delay
A delay is the difference between the time you were supposed to arrive at your destination station according to the NS timetable and the time you actually arrived.
How much will I be refunded?
- The Refund for Delays policy does not apply if the amount to be refunded is € 2.20 or less.
- The amount refunded is based on the fare. A Single is one journey, a Return is two. The fare for passes is based on the average number of journeys that a pass holder makes with his/her pass.
- The following passes are not subject to a refund: Public transport zones and public transport sections with Jaartrajectabonnementen (Annual Line Pass), Maandtrajectabonnementen (Monthly Line Pass] , the OV-Jaarabonnement (Public Transport Annual Pass], Maandnetabonnement (Monthly Network Pass), Day Travel Card and Zomertoer (Summer Tour Card).
- Some restrictions may apply to specific tickets/passes.
How do I apply for a refund?
- Obtain a 'Refunds for Delays’ form (along with the postage-paid reply envelope) from an NS Service Desk, Wizzl convenience store or Kiosk shop located in NS trains stations. You may also request the form by telephone at 0900 - 1462 (€ 0.10 per minute; within the Netherlands only).
- Only original forms will be processed. (No photocopies, please.).
- Use one form per person.
- Send your original ticket/pass and any additional tickets/passes, such as Railrunner tickets, with the form.
- If you have an OV-Studentenkaart (Public Transport Student Pass) or a Maandabonnement (Monthly Pass), please send a copy of the pass with the form. Be sure all copies are legible.
- If the journey was made using an NS-Jaarabonnement (NS Annual Pass) or OV-Jaarabonnement (Public Transport Annual Pass), it is not necessary to send a copy of the pass along with the form.
- If you used one ticket/pass for both the outbound and return journeys and were delayed on both, you may use one form to apply for a refund for both journeys.
- Be sure to keep a copy of all submitted documents for your own records.
- If you do not receive a reply to your refund request within six weeks of submitting it, you may contact NS Customer Service at 030 - 7515155 (24/7) to determine the status of your request
NS-/OV-Jaar(traject)abonnement [NS/public transport annual (route) pass] holders can complete the form online.
Refunds after delay of Intercity direct Amsterdam-Breda
|How long was the delay?||How much compensation will you receive?|
|Less than 15 minutes||You will not receive compensation.|
|15 to 29 minutes||50% of your Intercity direct ticket price (based on a single journey) or a defined proportion of your season ticket or season supplement.|
|30 minutes or more||100% of your Intercity direct ticket price (based on a single journey) or a defined proportion of your season ticket or season supplement.|
Example: You buy a ticket from Alkmaar to Rotterdam. There is a 20-minute delay on the Intercity direct between Schiphol and Rotterdam. You will receive 50% of the fare for a ticket between Schiphol and Rotterdam. The Intercity direct supplement is included when determining the amount of compensation, but the booking fee or the counter surcharge is not.
Compensation amounts of less than € 2.20 per ticket will not be paid.
You can get a 'Refunds for Delays’ form (along with the postage-paid reply envelope) from an NS Service Desk or Kiosk shop in an NS station. You may also ask for a form by phone on 0900-1462 (€ 0.10 per minute; within the Netherlands only).
Unfortunately, there are rare occasions when an Intercity direct does not run. You can then choose to wait and take the next Intercity direct, or take a different train.
Next Intercity direct: You are entitled to ‘Refunds for
Delays’ as described in the table above and you can ask for compensation using
the 'Refunds for Delays’ form.
A different train: Unfortunately, there are occasions when an Intercity direct is cancelled for instance because of winter weather, an emergency, or engineering work. If you have purchased a separate Intercity direct supplement, you can get a credit voucher for an Intercity direct supplement from the Intercity direct train managers. If you have purchased an Intercity direct supplement for a single journey at the Supplement post, you can simply cancel it at the post within 30 minutes.
If you have an Intercity direct season ticket within the Netherlands, then you will be entitled to a refund as per the above ‘Refunds for Delays’ table if an Intercity direct is cancelled. You can do this using a 'Refunds for Delays’ form.
Terms and conditions
In 2014, the carrier for journeys on the Intercity direct is HSA Beheer N.V. The terms and conditions that are applicable can be found on NSInternational.nl . The fare conditions can be found here (PDF, 383kB) .
Refunds for delays
- We make every effort to keep our trains running on time. Unfortunately, however, delays still sometimes occur.
- By delays we mean the difference between the time you were to arrive at your destination station according to the NS timetable and the time you actually arrive.
- We will be happy to offer you a refund if your travel was hindered by 30 minutes or more as a result of an NS delay.