Lost property on the train or at the station
Have you lost something?
- Enquire at the station whether your property has been found.
- Recovered property is stored at the station for a period of five (5) days.
- If the property has not been claimed within five days of recovery, it is sent to the Centraal Bureau Gevonden Voorwerpen (Central Lost Property Office) in Utrecht.
- You can reclaim your lost items that are still at the station free of charge. A postage/handling fee will be incurred on items that must be shipped to you.
- The NS Service Desk hours of operation vary from station to station, particularly in the evening and at the weekend.
When should you complete a trace form?
- If your property is not at the station/train where you lost it.
- If it has been more than five (5) days since you lost the property. (All lost items are stored at the stations for a period of five days before they are sent to the Centraal Bureau Gevonden Voorwerpen (Central Lost Property Office) in Utrecht.
- A trace request can be submitted by phone at 0900 321 21 00 (euro 0.80 per minute; within the Netherlands only).
- We can be contacted by phone weekdays from 08.00 to 20.00.
How long does NS keep property recovered on trains or in stations?
- After they have been stored at the station for five days, lost items are sent to the Centraal Bureau Gevonden Voorwerpen (Central Lost Property Office) in Utrecht.
- They are stored at the Central Lost Property Office for a maximum of three months. If the owner does not claim the item within that time, the item is sold.
- You can submit a trace request and a search will be conducted to see if your property is among the items at the Central Lost Property Office.
- You will be informed within 3 weeks of submitting the trace request whether your item has been found.
- If your property is found, it will be sent to you. The minimum charge for this service within the Netherlands is euro 15.00.
- Additional shipping charges will be incurred if the item(s) are over 1 meter in length/width/height or weighs more than 10 kilograms.
- For items shipped outside the Netherlands, standard shipping rates apply.
Have you lost something?
Every day dozens of objects are found on our trains and at the stations. We would very much like to return these objects to their rightful owners. If you've lost something, please follow the instructions to find out how to report and/or reclaim your lost property.