Refunds for delays
Have you experienced a delay during your domestic journey with NS? That's irritating. Fortunately, you can request a refund for delays of 30 minutes or longer. On the Intercity direct, you can even request a refund for delays of 15 minutes or longer.
You are entitled to a refund of 50% of the price of the journey for delays of at least 30 minutes, and 100% refund for delays of 60 minutes or more.
NS will not grant a refund if…
- the compensation is less than € 2.30.
- a longer travel time was announced in advance.
- the delay was caused by a transporter other than NS.
- you did not check in or out using your OV-chipkaart.
- you submitted the refund request more than 3 months after the travel date.
- the delay was due to force majeure, such as a nationwide power outage.
Submitting a request
Submit a refund request using the webform 'Refunds for Delays'.
We will usually send you an e-mail informing you whether your request has been approved and the refund amount within a week. We will then automatically refund the amount to the bank account number provided.
If you submit your claim within 5 days of the travel date, we will only process your claim when the delay data are confirmed in our systems 5 days after the travel date.