At the station during the coronavirus pandemic
In order to make it easier for travellers to keep 1.5 meters distance from one another, we have implemented coronavirus control measures at our stations. Our goal is to offer our current travellers the assurance that there is enough space available to travel safely when they absolutely need to travel.
The measures in brief
- Stay at a distance of 1.5 metres from others in stations and on platforms
- Wearing a face mask is mandatory in the stations and on the platforms
- Wearing a face mask is also mandatory in station shops
- When in station restaurants, you may only remove your face mask if you have been assigned a seat
- Keep to the right wherever possible
- Avoid touching surfaces wherever possible
- Allow four steps between yourself and others on escalators
- A maximum of two people should ride in the lift together
- Keep a distance of 5 paving tiles between yourself and others on the platform
- Discard your rubbish at the station and not in the train
Fewer ticket machines available
Due to the 1.5-metre rule, there are currently fewer ticket machines available than usual. We advise travellers to purchase their tickets simply online or via the NS app.
Disinfection kiosks at stations
There are disinfection kiosks at the Utrecht Centraal, Amsterdam Centraal, Rotterdam Centraal, Den Haag Centraal, Leiden Centraal, Eindhoven Centraal, Amsterdam Zuid and Nijmegen stations. This is a pilot initiative. If the pilot is successful, another 12 stations will be equipped with disinfection kiosks. The kiosks are in the form of a large column in front of the check-in gates. The column can be operated with a foot pedal so that travellers do not have to touch it with their hands.
Other measures at the station
- Since 15 December, only 1 of each food retail location will be open at the station: Kiosk, AH-to-go, Julia’s and the StationsHuiskamer (at smaller stations). The Rituals store will be closed until further notice.
- Other shops at our stations follow the government-mandated control measures.
- Luggage lockers, toilets, OV-fiets and P+R Fiets & Service and the bicycle storage facilities will remain open according to the normal schedule.
- At the moment, OV-fiets rentals are arranged via contactless transactions. Read more at this webpage.
- The bicycle storage facilities at the stations will remain open. Several control measures have been implemented to allow travellers to store their bicycles safely and to protect the safety of our employees.