European Championship football (UEFA Euro 2020)
The 16th edition of the European Championship (EURO 2020) will be taking place from 11 June to 11 July 2021. UEFA Euro 2020 will be played in 11 European cities, one of which is Amsterdam! The Dutch national team will play three group matches at the Johan Cruijff ArenA (on 13, 17 and 21 June 2021), and a round of sixteen final match will be played on 26 June.
Travelling by train to the European Championship football?
Planning on coming by train to support our team during the UEFA European Championship in the Johan Cruijff ArenA? Prepare yourself well and plan your journey by checking current departure times in advance. You can do this up to 10 days before your departure by means of the Travel Planner or in the NS app.
- If you are travelling from Schiphol Airport, Utrecht Centraal and Amsterdam Centraal, the best option is to travel to Amsterdam Bijlmer ArenA station.
- If you are coming from Almere/Zwolle, then you should travel to Duivendrecht station, as this station is also within walking distance of the JC ArenA. By doing so, you can avoid having to change trains or take the crowded metro, and you won't have to keep checking in and out.
Crowding on the train
We are expecting a lot of spectators, so please bear in mind that there will be considerable crowding on the trains to Duivendrecht and Amsterdam Bijlmer ArenA. The other stations mentioned above will probably also be crowded. Therefore, make sure to allow enough time for your journey, including your return journey.
Planning your return journey
Please plan your return journey in advance too - that way, you'll be sure to make your connections at the end of the evening.
- OV-chipkaart: If you're travelling on an OV-chipkaart, make sure to top up your balance beforehand so that you don't need to queue at the ticket machines. Did you know that it's possible to top up your balance automatically? This ensures you always have sufficient balance on your card.
- E-ticket: If you do not have an OV-chipkaart, you can also travel with an e-ticket. You can purchase an e-ticket online or simply order a train ticket on your smartphone, using the NS app.
To ensure an efficient flow of passengers through the gates, have your ticket ready. This will enable both you and those coming after you to check in and out quickly. If you have an e-ticket, you can open the gates by scanning the barcode on your ticket at the gates with a barcode reader.
Travelling responsibly during the coronavirus pandemic
We make every effort to keep your journey as safe and secure as possible. If you travel by train, please prepare yourself thoroughly. The use of facemasks is compulsory. We also ask that you keep at a distance from others in the stations and on the platforms.
About the European Championships
The 16th edition of the European Championship (EURO 2020) will be taking place from 11 June to 11 July 2021. UEFA Euro 2020 will be played in 11 European cities, one of which is Amsterdam! The Dutch national team will play three group matches and one final match at de Johan Cruijff ArenA (on 13, 17, 21 and 26 June 2021). The ArenA will fill up with 12,000 Orange fans for each match.
- Read more about the European Championship at the UEFA Euro 2020 website
Plan your journey
Ga je op reis?
Bereid je goed voor en check wat jij kan doen om je reis goed voor te bereiden.
Travelling responsibly during the coronavirus outbreak
NS is taking measures to prevent the spread of coronavirus.
Traveling with a disability.
Convenient travel by train, even if you have a disability.