About to enrol in higher education?
Being a student brings lots of fun experiences, such as travelling for free with your student travel product.
Your own student travel product
When you leave home to study, many things in your life will change. You will start a new study programme, make new friends, and maybe even move out of your parents' house. You can now also travel for free with public transport at certain times with your student travel product. But how do you get one? And when can you travel for free?
Free travel while studying
With your student travel product, you are entitled to travel via public transport for free at certain times of the day or week. Naturally, some conditions apply. More information can be found on DUO.
How can you request a student travel product?
Request a student travel product from DUO. Make sure to request it well in advance, because it will take some time to process the request. Follow the steps described below:
- Purchase a personal OV-chipkaart.
- Request a DigiD with text message verification.
- Log in to Mijn DUO to request your student travel product.
- Link this student travel product to your personal OV-chipkaart. You will receive a confirmation via e-mail.
- Download your student travel product to your personal OV-chipkaart from a ticket machine at an NS-station or another OV-chipkaart service point.
Didn't start your studies
If you have already downloaded your student travel product to your OV-chipkaart, but have decided not to start or continue your studies, you must deactivate the student travel product yourself. This can be arranged easily at any ticket machine. For more information about what to keep in mind when you deactivate your student travel product, please see the DUO website. Please note: you will receive a fine if you do not deactivate it in time.