The student travel product summarised
Are you enrolled in higher education? Then you should have already requested a student travel product and downloaded it to your personal OV-chipkaart.
Good to know!
In order to help you enjoy all of the benefits of your student travel product and to prevent unpleasant surprises, here are some important bits of information.
What is a student travel product
- A digital week- or weekend season ticket that you load onto your personal OV-chipkaart at an NS ticket machine or other OV-chipkaart service point.
- Depending on your season ticket, you can travel for free during the week or on weekends using public transport in the Netherlands.
- When travelling with a week season ticket during the weekend, or with a weekend season ticket during the week, you travel on balance. Make sure that you have enough money on your OV-chipkaart.
- You must always check in and out with the proper public transport carrier, even when travelling for free.
Free travel while studying
You can use your student travel product to travel on public transport for free. Of course, this is subject to a few conditions.
What can you use it for?
- Free travel by bus, tram, metro and train with all public transport carriers in the Netherlands. Please note: this does not apply to night buses.
- Travel with Intercity Berlijn, Intercity Brussel and ICE International within the Netherlands, but not with Thalys or Intercity direct.
- Travel by train for a 40% discount (or at full price) if you travel outside your season ticket's times.
- Combined travel discount: 40% discount for up to 3 travelling companions during off-peak hours.
- A RailPlus card for just € 15: 15% discount on many train tickets throughout Europe. Free registration for NS Extra Studenten. Benefit from the check-out alert service and all kind of great promotions.