Read more about the changes in the new timetable for each province.
Intercity’s every 10 minutes
- 7 days a week, Intercity’s will be running between Amsterdam, Utrecht, ’s-Hertogenbosch and Eindhoven every 10 minutes until approximately 19:00 (until 21:00 on Sunday).
The intercity Schiphol Airport - Utrecht Centraal - Eindhoven will only run to Venlo, and no longer to Heerlen. The Intercity Enkhuizen - Amsterdam Centraal will start running to Heerlen.
Passengers between Enkhuizen/Hoorn and Amsterdam Amstel and further south will reach their destinations 10 minutes earlier as a result. This Intercity will have a short stop in Eindhoven, so passengers continuing between Heerlen and the Randstad will reach their destinations 3 minutes earlier. The transfer and departure times are changing for almost all stations between Den Helder / Enkhuizen and Heerlen/Maastricht
Intercity‘s in the early morning and the evening
In the early morning and in the evening, 4 Intercity’s will run between Amsterdam Centraal / Schiphol Airport and Eindhoven / Nijmegen roughly every quarter hour, with transfer options at Utrecht Centraal. In order to make this possible, the Intercity Enkhuizen-Eindhoven will run to and from Maastricht instead of Heerlen and the departure times between Hoorn and Eindhoven will differ from those used during the day.
From Monday to Friday this quarter hour service will run for longer from Utrecht Centraal to Eindhoven (until 23.10 departure), to Nijmegen (until 22.54 departure) and to Schiphol Airport (until 21.25 departure) and from Schiphol Airport to Utrecht Centraal (until 22.18 departure). After that, a half-hourly service will take over. On Sunday, the quarter hour service from Eindhoven to Utrecht Centraal will run for an extra hour (until 22.03 departure).
On Sunday, the direct Intercity Schiphol Airport - Utrecht Centraal - Nijmegen in both directions will start 2 hours earlier (first departure 8.58 from Nijmegen and 10.00 from Schiphol Airport) and will run for one hour longer to Schiphol Airport (until 21.28 departure from Nijmegen). In this way, the quarter hour service between Schiphol Airport and Utrecht Centraal and between Utrecht Centraal and Nijmegen will be provided for longer.
Extra late Sprinter
On Wednesday and Thursday night, the second to last Sprinter Amsterdam Centraal - Weesp (train 14691 departure 0.23) will continue on to Almere Centrum. As a result, there will no longer be any NS buses from Weesp to Almere Centrum connecting to this train or to the second to last Sprinter Hoofddorp - Weesp (train 4389 departure 23.48). The connecting bus to Lelystad Centrum will now run from Almere Centrum (arrival 01.54).
Earlier Intercity direct
On working days, an extra early IC direct will run from Amsterdam Centraal to Rotterdam Centraal (departure 5.49). The first Intercity direct from Rotterdam Centraal to Amsterdam Centraal will run 13 minutes earlier (departure 6.28). In addition, an extra Intercity direct will be running on this route (departure 6.57).
Changed departure times
- The departure times of the Sprinters Amsterdam Centraal-Breukelen - Utrecht Centraal - Rhenen will be changing by a few minutes. The Sprinters from Rhenen to Amsterdam will also have shorter waiting times at Utrecht Centraal (3 minutes), but longer ones at Amsterdam Bijlmer (6 minutes).
- During off-peak hours, the Sprinter from Amsterdam Centraal to Rhenen will depart 11 minutes earlier from Amsterdam Centraal 5 times a day (departure at 6.28, 10.28, 12.28, 14.28 and 18.28). This train will stop at Amsterdam Bijlmer Arena for 12 minutes. Due to the earlier departure time, the direct connection from Uitgeest to Rhenen is no longer possible. A Sprinter Uitgeest - Amsterdam Centraal and a Sprinter Amsterdam Centraal - Rhenen will be running.
- On Saturday and Sunday evenings, the Sprinter Breukelen - Utrecht Centraal - Rhenen will run approximately 15 minutes later. This ensures better connections in Breukelen (8 minutes from Amsterdam Centraal towards Utrecht Centraal, 10 minutes from Utrecht Centraal towards Amsterdam Centraal). In the evening rush hour, 2 extra Sprinters will be running directly from Utrecht Centraal, via Breukelen, to Amsterdam Centraal and Uitgeestom at 18.03 and 18.33.
Changes to departure and arrival times and connections
- The departure times of the Intercity Enkhuizen - Amsterdam Centraal will be changing by approximately 15 minutes. This Intercity will stop in Hoorn for 7 minutes. This means a longer travel time between Enkhuizen and Amsterdam and a shorter travel time between Hoorn and Amsterdam. In addition, the connections for this Intercity with the Sprinters to Alkmaar and Purmerend will take longer. During rush hour, connections will be shorter.
- Early in the morning, before the morning rush hour, and in the evening, the Sprinter Hoorn Kersenboogerd – Hoofddorp will depart from Hoorn 5 minutes earlier and will stop for 6 minutes at Amsterdam Sloterdijk rather than 3. In the other direction, at these times the Sprinter will stop for 7 minutes rather than 2, and will therefore take an additional 5 minutes to reach Hoorn Kersenboogerd.
On Friday and Saturday nights, there will be an additional Sprinter from Schiphol Airport to Amsterdam Centraal at 0.31. From Amsterdam Centraal, this train will continue on to Lelystad Centrum.
More Intercity’s during rush hour
- During the morning rush hour on working days, 3 extra Intercity’s will run from Den Helder to Schagen rather than 2. These extra Intercity’s, which depart at 6.46, 7.16 and 7.46 will continue on to Maastricht. During the evening rush hour, 3 extra Intercity’s will run from Schagen to Den Helder, at 18.23, 18.53 and 19.23. As a result, there will be a connection between Den Helder-Amsterdam Centraal every 15 minutes during rush hour.
- During the morning rush hour on working days, 2 extra Intercity’s will run from Enkhuizen to Amsterdam (departure 6.05 and 8.25) and in the evening rush hour 1 extra Intercity will run from Amsterdam Centraal to Enkhuizen (departure 15.36).
- On working days, 1 extra Intercity will run from Alkmaar to Haarlem in the morning rush hour (departure 9.04) and from Haarlem to Alkmaar in the evening rush hour (departure 15.48). This also changes the transfer from the Intercity from Leiden Centraal to the Intercity to Alkmaar in Haarlem during the evening rush hour.
Changes to Intercity’s
On working days, the Intercity’s from Amsterdam Centraal to Schagen at 6.54 and 7.24 during the morning rush hour will be cancelled. The Intercity from Schagen to Amsterdam Centraal at 18.37 during the evening rush hour will be cancelled. The Intercity’s from Amsterdam Centraal to Alkmaar at 7.24, 7.54, 8.24, 8.54 and 9.24 on Saturday will be cancelled. The number of Intercity’s between Alkmaar and Amsterdam Centraal between 10.00 and 22.00 on Sunday will be doubled from 2 to 4 Intercity’s.
Changes to last connections
- On Monday and Tuesday nights, the Sprinter Amsterdam Centraal - Weesp at 0.11 will continue on to Hilversum. The connecting bus will now run from Hilversum to Amersfoort (arrival 01.25).
- On Sunday, Monday and Tuesday nights, an NS bus will connect to the last Sprinter from Haarlem to Uitgeest (departure 0:31) and run to Alkmaar (arrival 1:39). The NS bus from Haarlem to Heerhugowaard (departure 1.10) will no longer be running.
- On Sunday, Monday and Tuesday nights, NS buses from Amsterdam Centraal (departure 1:35) and Zaandam (departure 1:40) to Alkmaar will no longer continue on to Heerhugowaard.
At Amsterdam Centraal, there will be a better transfer from Haarlem to Utrecht Centraal because 6 Intercity’s will be running between Amsterdam Centraal and Utrecht Centraal each hour rather than 4. The transfer times will vary depending on the connection.
Changes to late trains
An extra late Intercity will be running from Amsterdam Centraal to Alkmaar (departure 0.09). This train will continue on to Den Helder on Wednesday to Sunday night. On Monday and Tuesday night, a connecting NS bus will run from Alkmaar to Den Helder. The Sprinter at 0.13 from Amsterdam Centraal will run to Uitgeest, and will no longer continue on to Heerhugowaard and Den Helder. The Sprinter at 1.14 will run to Alkmaar on Wednesday and Thursday nights and will no longer continue on to Heerhugowaard. This Sprinter will continue on to Den Helder on Friday and Saturday nights.
Later connections in the weekend
On Friday and Saturday nights, the last Intercity from Amsterdam Centraal to Enkhuizen will depart at 1.53. This is 22 minutes later than in the 2017 timetable.
Extra early connections in the weekend
The first Sprinter Uitgeest - Amsterdam Centraal will depart an hour earlier on Sunday (at 5.18) and will start at Alkmaar (departure 5.02). This provides an early connection from Alkmaar to Schiphol Airport via Zaandam 7 days a week. On Sunday, the first Sprinter Hoorn - Schiphol Airport will depart at 5.07 do that you can be at Schiphol Airport before 6.00. On Saturday and Sunday, this Sprinter will run once per hour in the early morning. As a result, the 2nd Sprinter on Saturday will run half an hour earlier (departs from Hoorn Kersenboogerd 5.49).
Longer travel times for half of Sprinters
The Sprinter Rhenen-Breukelen-Uitgeest will stop in Wormerveer for 4 minutes. If you are travelling further than Wormerveer from Uitgeest and Krommenie-Assendelft then your journey will take longer. This Sprinter will no longer connect with the Intercity to Almere Centrum at Amsterdam Centraal.
Faster ICE during off-peak hours
The travel time for the ICE Amsterdam-Keulen-Frankfurt between Amsterdam Centraal and Utrecht Centraal will be 3 minutes shorter during off-peak hours. The total travel time of the ICE from Germany to Amsterdam Centraal will remain the same for both rush hour and off-peak journeys.
Engineering works in Germany
In 2018, large-scale engineering work is starting on the German part of the ICE Amsterdam-Keulen-Frankfurt. For this reason, the ICE will regularly be diverted and take longer.
The intercity to Brussels will go over the high-speed line, starting the 9th of April. This results in a considerable travel time gain of half an hour.
Eurostar Amsterdam - London
Eurostar is the high-speed train that connects Amsterdam and London. From London to Amsterdam there will be a super fast Eurostar starting April 4, twice a day. This Eurostar takes you from London St Pancras International in just 3 hours to Rotterdam and in 3 hours and 40 minutes to Amsterdam Central. From the Netherlands to London you still have a transit in Brussels for the time being. Thalys and Intercity Brussels will take you there. At Brussel-Zuid / Midi station you change to Eurostar, which runs through the Channel Tunnel to London St. Pancras International.
As soon as there is agreement between the governments of the Netherlands and the UK about passport control, a direct Eurostar will also go from Amsterdam to London. The expectation is now that it will be at the end of 2019.
Order your tickets here.