Pros and cons
Many passengers will have shorter journey times and more connections. However, as an inevitable consequence of these changes, some passengers will have less trains, longer journey times and/or additional transfers.
- The extra trains between Amsterdam and Eindhoven and the freight traffic on this route make the connection of the Arriva-train from Arnhem to the Sprinter to Utrecht Centraal in Tiel 19 minutes longer (18 minutes longer in the other direction).
- The travel time from Utrecht Centraal to Tiel and Tiel Passewaaij will increase by 6 minutes. In the other direction, the travel time will increase by 5 minutes. This is due to a longer stop in Geldermalsen.
- During the weekend and during off-peak hours, the transfer in Tiel from the Intercity’s from Enkhuizen onto the Sprinters to Alkmaar and Purmerend and further will take 14 minutes longer. During rush hour, this transfer will be a few minutes faster.
- Around ’s-Hertogenbosch, many Sprinter passengers will no longer have to transfer and passengers on the Sprinter between Eindhoven and ’s-Hertogenbosch will get to their destinations 7 minutes faster. This means that the transfers from this Sprinter onto the Sprinter and Intercity to Nijmegen, onto the Sprinter to Geldermalsen and to Tilburg will take 7 minutes longer. For passengers to Tilburg, the Intercity to Roosendaal will now be an alternative because this connection will be available.
- Due to busy rail traffic, on working days during rush hour, the Sprinter Apeldoorn - Almelo - Enschede will have to wait at the platform in Almelo for 13 minutes once per hour before continuing on to Enschede. In the other direction, this wait will be 6 minutes. Passengers travelling further than Almelo will have longer journeys. If you are travelling to Hengelo or Enschede stations, then you will be able to make a transfer in Almelo onto the new Keolis express train Raalte-Almelo-Enschede and vice versa. For the same reason, the Intercity from Schiphol Airport to Enschede will take 2 minutes longer between Almelo and Enschede.
- On working days during the morning rush hour, less Intercity’s will run from Amsterdam to Schagen and on Saturday morning until approximately 9.30 less Intercity’s will run from Amsterdam to Alkmaar. On working days in the late evening rush hour, 1 Intercity from Schagen to Amsterdam will be cancelled. These Intercity’s all ran against the rush hour traffic.
- Due to busy rail traffic, the Sprinter Amsterdam - Breukelen - Utrecht Centraal - Rhenen will depart from the platform 11 minutes earlier 5 times a day from Amsterdam Centraal (departure at 6.28, 10.28, 12.28, 14.28 and 18.28) and will stop at Amsterdam Bijlmer Arena for 12 minutes. Due to the earlier departure time, the continued connection from Uitgeest to Rhenen is no longer possible in these cases. A Sprinter Uitgeest - Amsterdam Centraal and a Sprinter Amsterdam Centraal - Rhenen will be running.
- In the early morning and the evening, the Intercity Sittard - Heerlen will once per hour rather than twice. However, several of these trains will run to and from Eindhoven.