Redevelopment of Driebergen Zeist station
In early 2017, BAM started work on the metamorphosis of the Driebergen Zeist station district. Work is expected to finish by 2020. The bus station, the temporary station and the car park will be opened in 2017.
Traffic jams at the railway crossing, overcrowded bicycle storage and a shortage of parking spaces. Important reasons to do some serious work on the Driebergen Zeist station district.
- The Hoofdstraat will be soon go under the tracks and will be widened. The railway crossing on the Odijkerweg is being removed.
- The station square will be situated under the tracks. This will prevent unsafe situations whereby pedestrians run over the tracks to catch their trains.
- A new station, with a new bus station for city and regional buses, is being developed. Neither will cyclists be neglected. A new bicycle storage facility, where 3,000 bicycles can be safely stored, is being constructed under the station. In addition, cyclists will have a new route with which to cross the station district safely.
- The number of tracks is being increased from three to four. In the middle, one wide platform will be constructed, at which all the Sprinters will stop. And Intercity's will be able to overtake the slower trains thanks to a new reverse track.
- A new car park with 600 spaces is being built by Aan de Stegge on behalf of NS Stations. The car park is expected to be ready by October 2017. Convenient, safe, dry and adjacent parking will encourage more people to use the train.
The project involves various sustainability measures: We are reducing energy consumption, work with recycled and sustainable materials and are (nearly) energy neutral thanks to the use of solar panels on the platform roofs and the roof of the car park.
In October 2017, the temporary station will be opened and a footbridge over the tracks will be completed. At this point, the current station will be demolished.
Driebergen-Zeist is a collaborative project involving the Province of Utrecht, the Municipality of Utrechtse Heuvelrug, the Municipality of Zeist, NS and ProRail. The Ministry of Infrastructure and the Environment is the primary sponsor.
Go to www.stationdriebergenzeist.nl or use the special app.