Travelling with a hearing impairment during the coronavirus outbreak
Welcome back to the train! On this page we explain how travelling has changed due to the coronavirus. This will ensure that you are properly prepared for your trip. You can watch the subtitled video on this page or the second video accompanied by Dutch sign language (NGT).
At the station
- The advice to avoid crowding still applies.
- Safety measures are in place at all stations to enable everyone to keep at a sufficient distance from each other. For example, you can only ride in the lift with one other person, and you have to keep to the right when moving around the station. The safety measures are described on stickers and signs at the station.
- We also ask that you wear a face mask once you enter the station (including on the platform).
- If you are at one of our large stations and have a question, we can help you at an OV Service Shop or information counter. The NS staff there do not wear face masks as they are behind a plexiglass screen.
- There is a teleloop at each main counter in an OV Service & Tickets shop and at each information counter. By turning your hearing aid to the teleloop setting, you will be able to more easily understand the service employee.
In the train
- You must wear a face mask when travelling on the train, as it is sometimes difficult to keep at a sufficient distance from each other.
- The conductor may make an announcement if the train gets too busy.
- For example, they may announce that the train is crowded but that there is still room in another part of the train. If that is the case, then travellers will be asked to move through to the less crowded parts of the train.
- If the train really gets too crowded, then the conductor may ask for some travellers to leave the train at the next stop.
- If you don't know what is going on or can't hear the announcement, you can always ask the head conductor or a fellow traveller for assistance.
- If you are deaf or hard of hearing, this is naturally not always visible. Therefore, you can opt to place a special sticker on your face mask or clothing. This will enable our employees or your fellow travellers to help you more effectively if necessary.
- If you have further questions, please contact NS Customer Service via Twitter or chat.
- If you feel unsafe while travelling, you can report this via WhatsApp or by sending an SMS to the number 06-13181318.
- We are still there for you in these times too!