Travel free or at a discount if you're a student
- Apply if you're eligible for student finance and are not in receipt of any public transport payment abroad
- Accepted by all operators in the Netherlands
- Apply for your Studentenreisproduct from the Dienst Uitvoering Onderwijs (DUO)(Education Executive Agency)
- With a weekend ticket, you can travel before 09.00 at the full fare from Tuesday to Friday
When is the Studentenreisproduct valid in the summer period and on public holidays?
When are weekly season tickets valid during the summer period?
- Travel prepaid with discount
When are weekend season tickets valid during the summer period?
- Travel free from 12.00 Friday to 04.00 Monday morning
- Travel prepaid with discount from 04.00 Mondays, from 09.00 Tuesdays to Thursdays and 09.00 - 12.00 Fridays.
- Travel at full fare before 09.00 Tuesdays to Fridays.
When are the public holidays in 2015? Find out at Travelling on public holidays and during common holiday periods.
When are weekly season tickets valid on public holidays?
- Travel prepaid with discount from 04.00 on public holidays to 04.00 the next day
- Travel free on Good Friday
When are weekend seasons valid on public holidays?
- Travel free from 04.00 on public holidays to 04.00 the next day and from 12.00 the Thursday before Good Friday and the Wednesday before Ascension Day and on Good Friday itself
When do I need to check in and out?
You must always check in and out with the Studentenreisproduct.
- During your free periods however you will not be charged for your journey. You must still check in and out to ensure that your ticket remains valid.
- During the discount periods, you travel at 40% discount. You still need to check in and out. The system will then calculate the right fare and discount for you. You need to have at least € 10 on your OV-chipkaart to travel during discount periods. The system will charge you € 10 when you check in and the balance of your fare when you check out: so you'll receive a refund on your OV-chipkaart if the fare is less than € 10.
- Travelling at other times, you'll pay the normal fare. Once again, you need to check in and out. You need to have at least € 10 on your OV-chipkaart to travel at other times. The system will charge you € 10 when you check in and the balance of your fare when you check out: so you'll receive a refund on your smart card if the fare is less than € 10.
Travelling on an e-ticket? Then don't check in or out. NS advises using an e-ticket if you're going out of the country.
I forgot to check out. What happens now?
You can check out at your NS destination station up to six hours after you checked in on the same day up to 04.00 . If you realise you didn't check out until later, then call NS Customer service on 030 751 5155. NS customer service is available between 08.00 - 22.00 Mondays through Fridays and between 09.00 - 17.00 on Saturdays. Or put in a claim via Mijn Reishistorie (My travel history) in Mijn NS (in Dutch). For advice on what to do at other operators' stations, we advise you to contact the operator concerned.
What if I forget to take my OV-chipkaart with me?
If you forget to take your OV-chipkaart with you, you'll need to buy a paper ticket at the full fare. You can declare train tickets once a year with the 'Money back on forgotten season tickets' scheme. Send a reclaim form, with the supporting documents required, within one month to NS Customer service, P.O. Box 2025, 3500 HA Utrecht. Download the form or call NS Customer service available 24/7 on 030 751 5155.
What do I need to do if I travel abroad on my ticket?
- During your free periods, don't check in and out. Buy an international ticket for the part of your journey abroad
- Outside your free periods, don't check in and out. Buy an international ticket for the whole journey
Show your OV-chipkaart and international ticket if the conductor asks you to produce them.
To find out more, or book an international train ticket, go to www.nsinternational.nl