40% discount on all train travel throughout the Netherlands
- 40% discount at off-peak times
- 40% off for up to 3 people travelling together in off-peak hours
- 7 Keuzedagen a year for € 24,50 (2nd class) and € 49,50 (1st class) for those 60 or over
- The Voordeelurenabonnement is no longer available. If you already have a Voordeelurenabonnement, you can continue to renew it
- Valid with other train operators
- Your Voordeelurenabonnement is renewed automatically
- You pay for your Voordeelurenabonnement every year automatically
- As of 1st January 2015 your Voordeelurenabonnement will cost € 61,30 a year
- Spoor magazine free four times a year with great offers
- Discounts for Greenwheels and Q-Park P+R areas (in Dutch)
- Free membership of Hertz #1 Club®, offering the lowest prices for car hire at home and abroad
When can you travel at a 40% discount?
- After 09.00 Monday to Friday
- All day at weekends
- All day during July and August
- You can also travel with a discount before 09.00 on the following public holidays
All season tickets subject to terms and conditions.
Voordeelurenabonnement terms and conditions (PDF, 435 kB in Dutch)
The Voordeelurenabonnement is no longer available. If you already have a Voordeelurenabonnement, you can continue to renew it. There is also the option to switch to one of our other products offering extra savings on ticket prices, or you can cancel your Voordeelurenabonnement.
Switching from the Voordeelurenabonnement to another season ticket
If you apply for a new season ticket, we will cancel your Voordeelurenabonnement automatically. The remaining credit on your season ticket will be refunded to your account.
Check out our other season tickets
If you decide to switch to a different season ticket, you will not be able to go back to your current Voordeelurenabonnement.
Cancelling your Voordeelurenabonnement
You can cancel your season ticket at any time. Cancellation is for one full month at a time, so you will be refunded for the months after the calendar month in which you cancelled. If you choose to switch to one of the new NS season tickets, you can do so at any time.
Remember that you will need to cancel your ticket at least one month before the annual renewal date. Otherwise, you will pay for the new year and your season ticket will be renewed.
To cancel contact us by telephone on +31 (0)30- 7515155, Monday to Friday between 08.00 and 22.00 and Saturdays between 09.00 and 17.00.
If you cancel your Voordeelurenabonnement, you do not need to give up your OV-chipkaart. You can continue to use your smart card for pre-paid travel with NS or other operators. If you choose to switch to one of the new NS season tickets, you just activate (in Dutch) the new season ticket on your smart card.
Keuzedagen for 60+ travellers
Are you 60 or over? Then you can buy seven Keuzedagen a year for € 24.50 (2nd class) or € 49.50 (1st class). You can only buy Keuzedagen when you renew your Voordeelurenabonnement. On a Keuzedag, you can travel all day by train throughout the Netherlands for an extra low fare. You check in and out when travelling as you would for any other train journey. See Keuzedagen with a Voordeelurenabonnement to find out when you can use your Keuzedagen and how to put these on your card. See Mijn NS for a list of your Keuzedagen. If you haven't got an account, you can apply for one on Mijn NS.
Free RailPlus for 60+ travellers
If you are 60 or over, you are eligible for a free RailPlus (in Dutch) card worth € 15 that you can collect from the NS service desk. Your RailPlus card gives you a 25% discount on many rail journeys throughout Europe.
If you are under 60, then you can still purchase a RailPlus card for just € 15 a year.
You can apply for a RailPlus card (in Dutch) online or from:
- NS International Service Center (tel. + 31 (0)30-2300023)
- NS International desk in Tickets & Service shops
- NS service desks on the station
Your Voordeelurenabonnement is added to an OV-chipkaart (public transport smart card). Your card shows the term of the card and not that of your Voordeelurenabonnement.
Checking in and out
Hold your card up to the free-standing post or gate to check in for your train journey; then repeat the process when you reach your destination. You need to check in and out with each operator, i.e. if you change to bus, tram or metro. You should check out at an NS card reader before checking in with another operator. If you are travelling abroad, you do not need to check in and out in the Netherlands.
When you travel on your smart card credit (in Dutch) with NS after 09.00 in the morning, you automatically get a 40% discount when you check in. With your Voordeelurenabonnement you also get a 40% discount on Arriva, Breng, Connexxion, Syntus and Veolia train services.
Combined travel discount
You can take up to 3 people with you at a discount of 40% in the off-peak hours. You can set this up at the ticket machine at the station.
If you want to change the class you travel, once only, or for every time you travel, it is easy to do this at a ticket machine.
Changing ticket class
What are public holidays?
You can find a list of public holidays for 2015 at Travelling on public holidays. There are no peak hours on public holidays.
How do I switch from the Voordeelurenabonnement to a Dal Voordeel, Dal Vrij, Weekend Vrij, Altijd Voordeel or Altijd Vrij ticket?
If you would like to enjoy the great savings offered by one of our other season tickets, you can simply cancel your current season ticket. There are a few points to note if you decide to switch to another type of ticket.
- When you apply for a new season ticket, we will automatically terminate your Voordeelurenabonnement
Note: this only applies if you add the season ticket to the same OV-chipkaart as your current Voordeelurenabonnement. The remaining credit on your season ticket will be refunded to your account. Once you have switched you will not be able to go back to your current Voordeelurenabonnement.
- You will no longer get a discount on travel during the afternoon peak-hour between 16.00 and 18.30, and during the morning and afternoon peak-hours in the months of July and August and between Christmas and New Year.
- But, you will get the extra benefits of your new season ticket as well as great savings with family season tickets.
- Depending on your new season ticket you can travel free or with a discount before 06.30 in the morning, between 09.00 and 16.00, and after 18.30.
- After you switch to the new season ticket, the terms and conditions for your new ticket will apply.
How does Hertz car hire work with the Hertz#1 Club?
Hertz #1 Club® is specifically for people who occasionally need to hire a car and is free for NS customers who have the Voordeelurenabonnement, OV-Jaarabonnement or Jaartrajectabonnement.
- As a member of the Hertz #1 Club you will get reduced car hire rates
- You can save up to 20%, on top of great weekend rates
What do I do if I have forgotten my Voordeelurenabonnement?
If you forget your Voordeelurenabonnement, buy a normal train ticket without a discount.
Once in the season ticket year we will refund you the difference between the price of a replacement ticket without discount and the ticket with discount.
To get the refund, complete the Claiming a refund if you have forgotten your season ticket (in Dutch) form and return it, within a month, to NS Customer service with the ticket and a copy of your Voordeelurenabonnement.