Altijd Voordeel Annual
Discounts on all train travel
€ 20 per month
- 20% off at peak times, up to 40% discount at off-peak times and weekends
- 40% off for up to 3 people travelling together in off-peak hours
- Seven Keuzedagen a year for € 24,50 (2nd class) or € 49,50 (1st class) if you are 60 or over
- Up to 3 children travel free with a Kids Vrij season ticket for infants and children aged 4-11
- If you check in 5 minutes before or during off-peak times but check out during peak hours, you will still get the 40% discount
- Valid with other train operators
- Valid on InterCity Berlin and ICE International routes within the Netherlands
- Spoor magazine free 4 times a year with great offers
- Discounts for Greenwheels and Q-Park P+R areas (in Dutch)
- Available with an Intercity direct Altijd Toeslagvrij season ticket
When can I travel at a discount?
- Standard 20% discount on all journeys during peak periods
- 40% off during off-peak hours (Monday through Friday between 09.00 - 16.00 and 18.30 - 06.30) and at weekends from 18.30 Friday evening to 04.00 Monday morning
- 40% off on public holidays
All season tickets subject to terms and conditions.
Download product terms and conditions for season tickets (PDF, 51 kB)
Ordering your Altijd Voordeel Annual
You can order your Altijd Voordeel Annual season ticket online. You will need an OV-chipkaart (public transport smart card). If you have not got an OV-chipkaart, or your card is about to run out in the next 8 weeks, then you can order a new card free of charge with your season ticket. Your OV-chipkaart with your season ticket pre-loaded onto it will be sent to your home address within 2 weeks.
Do you already have an OV-chipkaart? Then you can order your Altijd Voordeel Annual season ticket at an NS ticket desk at the station. Your season ticket will be valid straight away. You can also order by phone. Please call NS Customer Service for this. You can reach us day and night by phone on 030-7515155. For orders placed by phone, it will be ten days before the season ticket can start.
Paying for your Altijd Voordeel Annual
You buy your season ticket for a full year but pay for it in monthly instalments. You pay with iDEAL. We will e-mail you as soon as your payment is received, explaining how you can download your season ticket to your card at an NS card machine or other public transport smart card top-up point. See address finder for details of all pick-up points in your area. Paying via IDEAL is not required when ordering you season ticket via NS customer service, you may authorise us telephonically.
Order your season ticket online (in Dutch)
Keuzedagen for 60+ travellers
Are you 60 or over? Then you can buy 7 Keuzedagen a year for € 24,50 (2nd class) or € 49,50 (1st class). On a Keuzedag, you can travel all day by train throughout the Netherlands for an extra low fare. You check in and out when travelling as you would for any other train journey. See Keuzedagen with an Altijd Voordeel season ticket to find out when you can use your Keuzedagen and how to put these on your card. See Mijn NS (in Dutch) for a list of your Keuzedagen. If you have not got an account yet, you can apply for one in Mijn NS (in Dutch).
Kids Vrij season ticket
Kids Vrij lets you take children aged 4-11 with you free of charge. You can order up to 3 Kids Vrij season tickets at no cost with an Altijd Voordeel season ticket. You can arrange this when you order your season ticket or later on via Mijn NS (in Dutch). Each child needs their own OV-chipkaart, but does not have to live at the same address as the applicant. A personal OV-chipkaart costs € 7,50.
Add the OV Voordeel supplement to your Altijd Voordeel season ticket and get 20% off when travelling by bus, tram and metro, and get a discount for your whole journey. OV Voordeel is accepted by all bus, tram and metro operators, and you can take it out monthly. You can add your season ticket to your OV-chipkaart, which you use when checking in and out. You can buy OV Voordeel at NS ticket machines and service counters.
Read more about OV Voordeel
Your season ticket is added to an OV-chipkaart (public transport smart card). You need at least € 10 as a starting fare before you can travel.
Checking in and out
Hold your card up to free-standing post or gate to check in for your train journey; then repeat the process when you reach your destination. You need to check in and out with each operator, i.e. if you change to bus, tram or metro. You should check out at an NS card reader before checking in with another operator. If you're travelling abroad, you do not need to check in and out in the Netherlands.
Combined travel discount
If you want to change the class you travel, once only, or for every time you travel, it is easy to do this on a ticket machine.
Changing ticket class
I do not have iDEAL. Is there any other way I can buy a season ticket?
With a personal OV-chipkaart, you can also order a season ticket from NS Customer service on 030-7515155. NS Customer service is available 24/7. You need to order season tickets 10 days in advance.
What are public holidays?
You can find a list of public holidays for 2015 at Travelling on public holidays. There are no peak hours on public holidays.
What are peak and off-peak hours?
As a rule, the times below
- Peak hours are between 06.30 - 09.00 and 16:00 - 18.30 on Mondays till Fridays
- Off-peak hours are any hours other than peak hours, plus weekends and public holidays
The time you check in determines how much discount you get on the whole journey. With Altijd Voordeel, you get 40% off when you travel during off-peak hours and 20% off during peak hours.
Can I use my season ticket to travel on NS International trains?
You can also use your season ticket for travel on InterCity Berlin and ICE International trains (not Thalys) within the Netherlands. To find out more, visit NS International.
How does checking in and out work with different train operators?
You must always check in and out, including when changing from one train operator to another. This is how it works.
- Before starting your journey, check in with the operator you will be travelling with first
- At the station where you change, first check out with the operator you started your journey with
- Then check in with the operator for your onward journey
- When you reach your final destination, check out with the operator on whose service you reached your destination