Out and back on the same route on the same day
- If you do not use the train that often, just buy a Day return
- If you do not have an OV-chipkaart, use a single-use smart card or e-ticket
- Valid from 00.00 until 04.00 the next morning
- You can break your journey, provided you complete your journey on the same day
- Children under 4 years may travel for free. For children 4-11 years old, Railrunner tickets are available for € 2,50.
Do I still need to check in and out with a Day return on my OV-chipkaart?
Yes, you must always check in and out with a Day return on a single-use smart card.
You need to do this to be eligible for a refund if you are delayed. Unless you check in and out as you should, you will not be eligible for a refund if you are delayed.
Is a Day return cheaper than buying 2 singles?
A return costs the same as 2 single journeys, but you pay a € 1 surcharge twice if you buy 2 single journeys on a single-use smart card, but only once if you buy a return.
Can I travel more than once on the same day with a Day return?
No, that is not allowed.
What domestic tickets are valid with/available from NS?
The table below shows all the tickets NS sells and/or are valid on NS trains (NS Passengers), and also what other operators accept them on their trains.
Available tickets with NS (PDF, 32,8 kB)
What international tickets are valid with/available from NS to travel on the Dutch section?
The table below shows all domestic tickets which NS sells and/or are valid on NS trains, plus on what other trains and by what foreign operators they are accepted.
Table of domestic tickets available with NS (PDF, 48 kB)