Refunds for delays
Were you delayed while travelling with NS? For delays of 30 minutes or more, you can submit a request for a refund. The amount refunded depends on the ticket type and the length of the delay. If the refund would be less that € 2.30, then NS will not reimburse it, so there is then no need to submit a request. Did you travel on the Intercity direct, the fast train between Amsterdam Centraal and Breda? Then you can request a refund for delays of 15 minutes or more.
Check the reimbursement table to see which reimbursement applies for each situation. You will not receive a reimbursement when:
- Your delay was less than 30 minutes (or less than 15 minutes for Intercity direct)
- The reimbursement would be less than € 2.30
- NS announced a longer travel time in advance
- The delay was caused by a carrier other than NS
- Your ticket (a season ticket, for example) is on an OV-chipkaart or NS Business Card and you did not check in or out
- You submit the request for a refund more than 3 months after the travel date
- In case of force majeure, such as nationwide flooding
How to arrange your request
- Do you have a Mijn NS account and did you travel using an OV-chipkaart or a single-use chipkaart? Then submitting your request will be quick and easy.
- Without a Mijn NS account you can also claim online, but you will not be able to access your travel history.
- If you used an e-ticket, mobile ticket or a supplementary ticket (such as a Railrunner, Dagkaart hond/fiets or supplement) then you can submit a request online. Unfortunately, it is not possible to submit a request via Mijn NS.
- If you travelled using an NS Business Card then you can place a request using your Mijn NS Zakelijk account.
- You can also submit an online request if you used the Intercity direct during your journey. You submit your ticket number when making the request, so you do not need to send anything else.
- Was the Intercity direct supplement-free? Then you can submit a request for reimbursement of of the Intercity direct Supplement. Tip: Did you know that when you purchase an Intercity direct Supplement from the Supplement Pole you can cancel it within 30 minutes of purchasing?
- You can submit requests for refunds for delayed journeys on international routes via NS International.
Request using a paper from
You can also request a refund using a paper form. However, processing will then take longer. The paper form is available from the desks at NS stations or it can be requested from NS Customer Services. Fill in the form completely and enclose the tickets or copies specified on the form. Always use an original form for your request!
Travelling with e-tickets or mobile tickets from other carriers
Did you travel with an e-ticket or a mobile ticket from another carrier, but experience delays with NS exceeding 30 minutes? Then you can submit your request for a refund by post. You must send the following information: a copy of your ticket or invoice, your planned departure time according to the timetable, departure and arrival stations with NS, the duration of the delay (30-59 minutes or 60 minutes or more), your address and your IBAN number. Send this information to the following address: NS Klantenservice, Postbus 2372, 3500 GJ Utrecht.
Did you submit a request online? Then we will email you a confirmation of receipt within a few minutes. In most cases, your request will be processed within a few days. You will then receive an email from us informing you of whether your request was accepted, and if so what the refunded amount will be. If you submitted a paper form and did not provide an email address, you will receive a message by post.
Longer processing times
Please be aware that the processing time may be as long as several weeks if you sent additional comments with your request. If you submitted a request within 5 days of your journey, then processing usually takes at least one week because delay information takes time to be confirmed by our system.
If you are entitled to a refund, then the amount will automatically be transferred to the account you have specified. If you have not been contacted regarding your request within 6 weeks, then please contact NS Customer Service