Combined Travel Discount with an NS season ticket
With an NS season ticket (except for Kids Vrij) or an NS-Business Card with a season ticket on it, you can bring along a maximum of 3 people during off-peak hours with your 40% discount. Your fellow travelers must also have the combined travel discount on his or her own OV-chipkaart.
Topping up your OV-chipkaart with a Combined Travel Discount
Please note: as of 1 January 2016 this discount no longer applies during the afternoon rush hour between 16.00 and 18.30.
Your fellow traveler must top up his personal or anonymous OV-chipkaart with a minimum of € 10 and the Combined Travel Discount at an NS Ticket Machine or Service Desk. Then follow the steps below:
- Hold the OV-chipkaart in front of the card reader (with OV-chipkaart logo) at the bottom right of the NS Ticket Machine screen.
- Select 'Samenreiskorting’ (Combined Travel Discount) and the desired class. If you would like to travel in a different class than the standard class for your OV-chipkaart using the Combined Travel Discount, then you simply load a Combined Travel Discount for the correct class.
- Click on 'Akkoord' and hold the OV-chipkaart in front of the card reader on the NS Ticket Machine again.
- Top up the OV-chipkaart with enough balance. The minimum for the combined travel discount is € 10.
- Check in and out during the off-peak hours to travel with a 40% discount.
Always top up your balance or product on your OV-chipkaart before checking in.
The combined travel discount automatically expires 35 minutes after you check out. If your fellow traveller checks in again with NS or another train company within 35 minutes, he or she can still travel with someone with the combined travel discount.
If you would like to check whether your OV-chipkaart has a Combined Travel Discount, hold your OV-chipkaart in front of the card reader at an NS Ticket Machine and select ‘Tonen alle producten op kaart’ (Display all products on card). You must load the Combined Travel Discount on the date of travel, because the discount is only valid for one day.
Combined Travel Discount for the return trip
If you will be making a return trip, select the button 'kies aantal' at the NS Ticket Machine to load the discount twice before you leave. If your traveling companion will be continuing their journey alone, then he or she must remove the combined travel discount from the card at the NS Ticket Machine. The Combined Travel Discount expires automatically 35 minutes after you check out.
Combined Travel Discount on domestic routes with NS International
The Combined Travel Discount is valid on the IC Berlin. To ride on the Intercity direct, you must have an Intercity direct supplement, and an ICE supplement is required to use the Combined Travel Discount on board an ICE International. The Combined Travel Discount is not valid for Thalys, as all travelers must have a reservation. When purchasing an international train ticket via NS International or at an NS Ticket Machine, select the option ‘Samenreiskorting’ (Combined Travel Discount). The discount will then be calculated for the part of your journey to the Dutch border.
Removing the Combined Travel Discount from your OV-chipkaart
- Hold your OV-chipkaart in front of the card reader at the bottom right of the NS Ticket Machine.
- Select 'Tonen alle producten op kaart' (Display all products on card)
- Select 'Samenreiskorting' (Combined Travel Discount)
- Select 'Verwijderen' (Remove)
- Hold your OV-chipkaart in front of the card reader again.
Off-peak hours are after 09.00 from Monday to Friday, and all day on weekends and holidays. During the holiday months July and August and the week between Christmas and New Year you can also travel all day with a 40% discount. Please note: from 1 January 2016 this discount no longer applies during the afternoon rush hour between 16.00 and 18.30.
- The Combined Travel Discount is valid with NS and all other rail companies in the Netherlands.
- The Combined Travel Discount can be purchased at an NS Ticket Machine or Service Desk and at the Ticket Machines of other rail companies in the Netherlands.
- The Combined Travel Discount is not available online.
- If you have loaded the Combined Travel Discount, you cannot purchase an Intercity direct surcharge on your card at the surcharge pole. In that case, you can purchase the surcharge at the Ticket Machine instead.