Samenreiskorting: 40% discount for fellow travellers
With an NS season ticket or an NS Business Card with a season ticket on it, your fellow travellers can enjoy 40% discount during off-peak hours. They will have to put Samenreiskorting on their OV-chipkaart, before they board the train. This can be done at the NS Ticket Machine.
Topping up your OV-chipkaart with Samenreiskorting
Samenreiskorting is only available at an NS Ticket Machine, the NS Service Desk or another transport company's ticket machine.
- Hold the OV-chipkaart in front of the card reader (with OV-chipkaart logo) at the bottom right of the NS Ticket Machine screen.
- Select 'Samenreiskorting’ (Combined Travel Discount) and the desired class. If you would like to travel in a different class than the standard class for your OV-chipkaart using the Combined Travel Discount, then you simply load Samenreiskorting for the correct class.
- Click on 'Akkoord' and hold the OV-chipkaart in front of the card reader on the NS Ticket Machine again.
- Top up the OV-chipkaart with enough balance. The minimum amount needed for the Samenreiskorting is € 10.
- Check in and out during the off-peak hours to travel with a 40% discount.
If you would like to check whether your OV-chipkaart has Samenreiskorting, hold your OV-chipkaart in front of the card reader at an NS Ticket Machine and select ‘Tonen alle producten op kaart’ (Display all products on card). You must load the Samenreiskorting on the date of travel, because the discount is only valid for one day.
Deleting the Samenreiskorting from your OV-chipkaart
- Hold your OV-chipkaart against the card reader at the bottom right of the NS Ticket Machine.
- Select 'Tonen alle producten op kaart' (Display all products on card).
- Select 'Samenreiskorting'.
- Select 'Verwijderen' (Delete).
- Hold your OV-chipkaart against the card reader again to complete the transaction.
- Always download your product or top up your OV-chipkaart before checking in.
- The off-peak hours are on weekdays between 09:00 and 16:00 and between 18:30 and 06:30 the next morning, and all day on weekends and holidays.
- The Samenreiskorting is valid on NS trains and those of other rail transport companies in the Netherlands.
- The Samenreiskorting is not available online.
- If you have an NS season ticket or an NS ticket on your OV-chipkaart in combination with the Samenreiskorting, you can download your Intercity direct supplement at any supplement post. If you do not have an NS season ticket or ticket on your OV-chipkaart, and you would like to use of the Samenreiskorting, you must purchase the supplement at the NS Ticket Machine.
- The Samenreiskorting expires automatically 35 minutes after checking in. If your fellow passenger checks into another train operated by NS or another rail transport company within 35 minutes, he or she will still be able to accompany someone with the Samenreiskorting.
Price of your journey
If you would like to know how much your journey will cost with the 40% Samenreiskorting, go to the NS Travel Planner and enter your route. The full price for this journey will appear at the top right. When you click on the information icon (i) next to the price, the screen will display the price of the journey with the 40% discount.
Samenreiskorting for the return trip
If you will be making a return trip, select the button 'kies aantal' (select number) at the NS Ticket Machine to download the discount twice before you leave. If your traveling companion will be continuing their journey alone, then he or she must remove the combined travel discount from the card at the NS Ticket Machine. The Samenreiskorting expires automatically 35 minutes after you check out.
Samenreiskorting on domestic routes with NS International
The Samenreiskorting is valid on the IC Berlin. To ride on the Intercity direct, you must have an Intercity direct supplement, and an ICE supplement is required to use the Samenreiskorting on board an ICE International. The Samenreiskorting is not valid for Thalys, as all travelers must have a reservation. When purchasing an international train ticket via NS International or at an NS Ticket Machine, select the option ‘Samenreiskorting’. The discount will then be calculated for the part of your journey to the Dutch border.