Mobile phone tickets
Since 2016, we have offered the option of downloading e-tickets onto your mobile telephone. When you order a Single or Day Return ticket online, you can now download it directly to your smartphone, eliminating the need to print the ticket.
What are mobile phone tickets?
Until now, travellers had to download and print their e-tickets, but now travellers may choose to download e-tickets in the Reisplanner Xtra app after your purchase of a one-way or return journey. Simply use your telephone to open gates and show your ticket to the conductor.
What do you need?
- A smartphone with either Android or Apple iOS. If you have not updated your operating system in some time, it is a good idea to do so before using the app.
- The Travel Planner Xtra app. Download or update the app via the App Store or Google Play Store. You can recognise the correct version of the app if it has the heading ;Mijn tickets in the app menu.
How does it work?
After completing the payment for your order, you will be given the opportunity to download your tickets on your personal page. You will always receive a link to this page in the confirmation mail.
Open this page on your mobile telephone.
Downloading tickets in the Reisplanner Xtra app
Once you open your personal page, you will see two options for downloading your e-tickets.
- Download and print
- Download to the Reisplanner Xtra app on your mobile phone
Select Download to the Reisplanner Xtra app on your mobile phone. The app will open automatically after you click on this link.
Step 4 Travelling with the ticket!
You can find your ticket under the heading Mijn tickets in the Reisplanner Xtra app. When you open the ticket, you will see a large square QR code.
You do not need to check in at stations with check-in posts. If you are departing from a station that is furnished with access gates, you can use the mobile phone ticket to open the gate.
- Open your mobile phone ticket in the Reisplanner Xtra app. Make sure that the square QR code is visible on the screen and keep your telephone ready.
- Go to the gate equipped with a barcode reader. This is usually located to the right-hand side. You can recognise the gates with barcode readers by the 'scan ticket' symbol on the right-hand door of the gate, and by the illuminated area to the right of the gate.
- Hold your telephone with the screen facing the scanner, and the gate will open for you automatically. .
- Open the app and select Mijn tickets. Open the ticket so that the square QR code is visible.
- The conductor will scan the code.
- The conductor may ask you to press the button rotate (at the bottom right of the QR code) so that he or she can check the ticket visually.
What are the rules?
- Mobile phone tickets are only valid if they have been downloaded in the NS Reisplanner Xtra app.
- You are responsible for being able to display a valid ticket. You must therefore make sure that your telephone is sufficiently charged and working properly.
- Mobile phone tickets are issued by name, so like printed e-tickets, they are only valid in combination with a valid proof of identification.
- The Conditions for travelling with an e-ticket apply to all travels using a mobile phone ticket.
Refunds for delays
When travelling with a mobile phone ticket, you are still eligible for refunds for delays as you would be with a normal ticket.
The procedure for requesting refunds for delays is the same as that for printed e-tickets. Use the paper refund request form. Unfortunately, this means that you must still print out your e-ticket and send it in during the trial period. You can always print out your e-ticket even after you have downloaded the mobile phone ticket via your personal page. You can find the link to your personal page in the confirmation mail you received after you ordered your ticket.