Refunds for delays
We understand how irritating it is to experience a delay on your train journey in the Netherlands, so we offer a refund for delays of 30 minutes or more.
The amount of the refund depends on your individual situation (vergoedingentabel):
Refunds are not granted if…
- the amount is less than € 2.30.
- the longer travel time was announced in advance.
- a rail carrier other than NS caused the delay.
- you forgot to check in or out with your OV-chipkaart or NS-Business Card.
- the request was submitted 3 or more months after the travel date.
- the delay was caused by force majeure, such as a nationwide power outage.
you were not able to board a crowded train due to the current coronavirus prevention measures.
How to arrange your request
OV-chipkaart or single-use chipkaart
If you travelled using an NS-Business Card, then you can submit a refund request via your Mijn NS Zakelijk account.
Have you traveled with your contactless debit card, credit card or debit card on your mobile or smartwatch? Then ask for a refund using our form.
High Speed Line
If you travelled using the High Speed Line aboard the (Intercity direct or the Intercity Den Haag-Eindhoven via Breda), then you can also submit a request online for delays of longer than 15 minutes. You will be asked to submit your card number along with the request.
You can request a refund for delays on op international routes or using an international ticket via NS International.
E-ticket, mobile ticket or additional ticket purchased from NS
E-ticket or mobile ticket
E-tickets or mobile tickets cannot be changed, returned and refunded unless there is a delay of 60 minutes or more. In that case, you can choose from 2 options:
- You can choose to make your trip at a later time.
- You can apply online for a refund of the e-ticket.
Also if you traveled with a supplementary ticket you can submit a request online. If you have traveled with a Railrunner, Dagkaart Hond or Dagkaart fiets you can fill this in under the heading Supplementary tickets in the form. It is also possible to submit a request via My NS. Log in to Mijn NS and click on the tab Seperate ticket.
E-ticket, mobile ticket or additional ticket not purchased from NS
Did you not purchase your e-ticket or mobile ticket from NS, but your delay at NS was at least 30 minutes? You can apply for a refund via our form if your e-ticket or mobile ticket was purchased from:
- Tranzer app
- 9292 app (via ticketing partner Tranzer)
- Gaiyo app (via ticketing partner Innovactory)
- Go About app
- Amaze app (via ticketing partner Radiuz)
The same applies to discount coupon codes purchased from NS partners (such as drug stores or supermarkets) and then redeemed for an NS e-ticket or mobile ticket at ns.nl.
In all other cases, you can submit your refund request via post. Please include the following information with your request:
- a copy of your ticket or bill
- your scheduled departure time according to the rail timetable
- the NS departure and arrival stations
- length of delay (30-59 minutes or 60 minutes or more)
- your address and IBAN number.
You can send your refund request to: NS Klantenservice, Postbus 2372, 3500 GJ Utrecht.
Did you submit a request online? Then we will email you a confirmation of receipt within a few minutes. In most cases, your request will be processed within a few days. You will then receive an email from us informing you of whether your request was accepted, and if so what the refunded amount will be. If you submitted a paper form and did not provide an email address, you will receive a message by post.
If you submitted a request within 5 days after your journey, then processing usually takes at least one week because delay information takes time to be confirmed by our system.
If you are entitled to a refund, then the amount will automatically be transferred to the account you have specified. If you have not been contacted regarding your request within 6 weeks, then please contact NS Customer Service