Refunds for delays
We understand how inconvenient it can be when you have a delay during your domestic journey with NS. When you encounter a delay of 30 minutes or more, you can request a refund of part of the ticket price.
The amount of the refund depends on your individual situation.
Refunds are not granted if…
- the amount is less than € 2.30.
- the longer travel time was announced in advance.
- a rail carrier other than NS caused the delay.
- you forgot to check in or out with your OV-chipkaart or NS-Business Card.
- the request was submitted 3 or more months after the travel date.
- the delay was caused by force majeure, such as a nationwide power outage.
How to arrange your request
- If you have a Mijn NS account and travelled using an OV-chipkaart or single-use chipkaart, then the quickest and easiest way to submit a refund request is via Mijn NS.
- You can also submit a refund claim online without a Mijn NS account, but then you won't have access to your travel history.
- If you travelled using an e-ticket, mobile ticket or supplemental ticket, then you can submit a refund request online. If you travelled using a Railrunner, Dagkaart Hond or Dagkaart Fiets, then you can enter it on the form in the field for 'Supplemental tickets'. You can also submit a request via Mijn NS. Simply log into Mijn NS and click on the heading 'Single ticket'.
- If part of your journey included a trip on the high speed rail line (Intercity direct or the Intercity Den Haag - Eindhoven via Breda), then you can submit a refund request online. You can request this refund for delays of only 15 minutes. In this case, all you need to do is enter your card number in your request, and you won't need to send any other documents.
- If you travelled using the NS-Business Card, then you can also submit a refund request via your Mijn NS Zakelijk account.
- If you used a Grensabonnement to travel between the Netherlands and a neighbouring country, and you experienced a delay inside the Netherlands with NS, then you can use this form to submit a refund request.
- You can submit requests for refunds for delays on international routes or for journeys using international tickets via NS International.
Travelling with e-tickets or mobile tickets that were not purchased from NS
If you did not purchase your e-ticket or mobile ticket from NS, and you experienced a delay of at least 30 minutes while travelling with NS, then you can submit a refund request by post. Please include the following information: a copy of your ticket or invoice, your scheduled departure time according to the rail timetable, the NS departure and arrival stations, the duration of the delay (30-59 minutes or more than 60 minutes), your address details, and your IBAN number. Then send the refund request information to: NS Klantenservice, Postbus 2372, 3500 GJ Utrecht.
Did you submit a request online? Then we will email you a confirmation of receipt within a few minutes. In most cases, your request will be processed within a few days. You will then receive an email from us informing you of whether your request was accepted, and if so what the refunded amount will be. If you submitted a paper form and did not provide an email address, you will receive a message by post.
If you submitted a request within 5 days after your journey, then processing usually takes at least one week because delay information takes time to be confirmed by our system.
If you are entitled to a refund, then the amount will automatically be transferred to the account you have specified. If you have not been contacted regarding your request within 6 weeks, then please contact NS Customer Service