Refunds for delays
We understand how inconvenient it can be when you have a delay during your domestic journey with NS. When you encounter a delay of 30 minutes or more, you can request a refund of part of the ticket price. When travelling on the high speed rail line (aboard the Intercity direct or the Intercity Den Haag - Eindhoven via Breda), you can request a refund for delays of only 15 minutes.
The amount of the refund depends on your individual situation.
Refunds are not granted if…
- the amount is less than € 2.30.
- the longer travel time was announced in advance.
- a rail carrier other than NS caused the delay.
- you forgot to check in or out with your OV-chipkaart or NS-Business Card.
- the request was submitted 3 or more months after the travel date.
- the delay was caused by force majeure, such as a nationwide power outage.
How to arrange your request
- If you have a Mijn NS account and travelled using an OV-chipkaart or single-use chipkaart, then the quickest and easiest way to submit a refund request is via Mijn NS.
- You can also submit a refund claim online without a Mijn NS account, but then you won't have access to your travel history.
- If you travelled using an e-ticket, mobile ticket or supplemental ticket, then you can submit a refund request online. If you travelled using a Railrunner, Dagkaart Hond or Dagkaart Fiets, then you can enter it on the form in the field for 'Supplemental tickets'. You can also submit a request via Mijn NS. Simply log into Mijn NS and click on the heading 'Single ticket'.
- If part of your journey included a trip on the high speed rail line (Intercity direct or the Intercity Den Haag - Eindhoven via Breda), then you can submit a refund request online. In this case, all you need to do is enter your card number in your request, and you won't need to send any other documents.
- If you travelled using the NS-Business Card, then you can also submit a refund request via your Mijn NS Zakelijk account.
- If you used a Grensabonnement to travel between the Netherlands and a neighbouring country, and you experienced a delay inside the Netherlands with NS, then you can use this form to submit a refund request.
- You can submit requests for refunds for delays on international routes or for journeys using international tickets via NS International.
Travelling with e-tickets or mobile tickets that were not purchased from NS
If you did not purchase your e-ticket or mobile ticket from NS, and you experienced a delay of at least 30 minutes while travelling with NS, then you can submit a refund request by post. Please include the following information: a copy of your ticket or invoice, your scheduled departure time according to the rail timetable, the NS departure and arrival stations, the duration of the delay (30-59 minutes or more than 60 minutes), your address details, and your IBAN number. Then send the refund request information to: NS Klantenservice, Postbus 2372, 3500 GJ Utrecht.
Did you submit a request online? Then we will email you a confirmation of receipt within a few minutes. In most cases, your request will be processed within a few days. You will then receive an email from us informing you of whether your request was accepted, and if so what the refunded amount will be. If you submitted a paper form and did not provide an email address, you will receive a message by post.
If you submitted a request within 5 days after your journey, then processing usually takes at least one week because delay information takes time to be confirmed by our system.
If you are entitled to a refund, then the amount will automatically be transferred to the account you have specified. If you have not been contacted regarding your request within 6 weeks, then please contact NS Customer Service