You can always travel in a different class for a day, but you must change your season ticket if you would like to permanently travel in a different class.
Changing class for the day
You can always change the class on your OV-chipkaart or NS-Business Card for the day. Simply go to a Ticket Machine and select the option 'Wijzig klasse' (Change class). To change class for the day on an Keuzedag, select 'Wijzig klasse Huidig' (Change class Today) and follow the order and payment instructions on the screen.
- Always select the class in which you would like to travel before checking in.
- The class change is valid until 4.00 on the following morning.
- You can change from 2nd to 1st class and back again several times per day.
- You cannot cancel the class change via Mijn NS or Mijn NS Zakelijk.
- The class change is only valid on NS trains, unless you have an NS-Business Card with a Trein Vrij season ticket. In that case, the class change is also valid on other rail companies offering 1st class service.
- Kids Vrij is always the same class as the accompanying adult.
- Supplemental season tickets are always 2nd class.
- During your first contract year, you can change the class on your Keuzedag as often as you like.
Note: After changing the class at the Ticket Machine, remember to check in before boarding the train.
Changing classes permanently
- Permanently changing from 2nd class to 1st class
You can permanently change your season ticket class from 2nd class to 1st class at any time.
- Permanently changing from 1st class to 2nd class
You can permanently change your season ticket class from 1st class to 2nd class at any time after your first contract year .
Only holders of an annual season ticket may permanently change the class for their season ticket (on the day of the month that the contract started). Monthly season ticket holders cannot change classes, but they can change their class for the day by buying a class change from the NS Ticket Machine and downloading the class change to their OV-chipkaart. With a Voordeelurenabonnement with paper Keuzedagen it is only possible to change classes per contract year.
Changing the class on your NS-Business Card via Mijn NS Zakelijk
- You can change classes for an unlimited period
- You can change classes for a single day
- You can change classes for a specific date or time
You can request a class change at any time via Mijn NS Zakelijk. You will receive an e-mail confirmation of your class change. In Mijn NS Zakelijk you can see whether your class change is active or not.
Always arrange a class change before you check in. The class change will be billed via your monthly invoice.
Note: If you would like to change a 1st-class NS-Business Card to 2nd class, you must change your season ticket via Mijn NS Zakelijk.
Changing classes on the Intercity direct
If you travel with the Intercity direct and would like to travel in a different class, you can always combine this with a change to your OV-chipkaart or NS-Business Card. Your ticket should always correspond to the proper train. For example, if you have a 1st class NS-Business Card, you must also purchase an 1st class Intercity direct monthly supplement.