Travelling during national holidays
During national holidays you can travel at the discount associated with your season ticket all day long. In some cases, the discount also applies in the months July and August, between Christmas and New Year and on the Friday after Ascension Thursday.
Which holidays does NS celebrate?
- Good Friday: 15 April
- Easter: Easter Sunday, 16 April 2017and Easter Monday, 17 April 2017
- Ascension Day: 25 May 2017
- Pentecost: Pentecost Sunday, 4 June 2017 and Whit Monday, 5 June 2017
- Christmas: Christmas Day, 25 December 2017 enand Boxing Day, 26 December 2017
- New Year's Day
- King's Day
Do you travel with a Weekend Vrij season ticket?
Then you can travel for free all day during national holidays.
If you have a Dal Vrij, Traject Vrij, Altijd Voordeel, Dal Voordeel or combined travel discount,
then you can travel with the discount for your season ticket for the entire day, even when using an Optional Day ticket.
Do you travel with a Voordeeluren season ticket?
Then you can travel with the discount from your season ticket all day on national holidays.
In addition, you can travel with a discount all day during the following periods (including when using Optional Days):
- Friday after Ascension Day - 26 May 2017
- In the summer months July and August 2017
- Between Christmas and New Year, from 27 December to 31 December
Will you be travelling with a promotional ticket (Spoordeelwinkel, Hema, Kruidvat etc.)?
Then you can travel for free all day on national holidays.
Do you travel with a student travel product?
Different rules apply to students with a student travel product on their OV-chipkaart than to other NS season ticket holders.
Week season ticket
- During national holidays, students with a week season ticket travel on balance with a discount from 4.00 to 4.00 the next day.
Weekend season ticket
- During national holidays, students with a week season ticket travel for free from 4.00 to 4.00 the next day..
- Students travel for free on the Wednesday before Ascension Day from 12.00 (24 May 2017)
Timetables during national holidays and the holiday season
In principle, NS runs its trains on the same timetable all year long. However, there are occasionally special timetables. For example, the Oranje timetable on King's Day or the Sunday timetables during Easter and Ascension Day. Check the the Travel Planner or the NS Reisplanner Xtra travel planner app prior to departure.