Benefits of this season ticket
- Unlimited travel during peak hours.
- Unlimited travel during off-peak hours.
- Unlimited travel on weekends
- 40% discount for 3 travel companions
Unlimited travel whenever you want
Wherever and whenever you want: you get unlimited travel all day, every day of the year, both with NS and with other Dutch rail carriers.
Benefits of an NS season ticket
- Free copy of Spoor magazine 5x per year with interesting offers.
- Exclusive offers for season ticket holders.
- Manage your season ticket with a single, convenient overview in Mijn NS. Find your journeys in your travel history, and request refunds for delays or when you forget to check out.
- 25% discount on international travel with RAILPLUS, for an extra € 15 per year.
(PLEASE NOTE: as of 8 December, NMBS (Belgian Railways) will no longer participate in RAILPLUS. From that date on, you will not be able to purchase a ticket with the RAILPLUS discount to or through Belgium)
- Discounts on GreenWheels car sharing and Q-Park P+R parking facilities.
- 3 free Kids Vrij: Children may accompany you for free. If your child does not have an OV-chipkaart, then you can purchase one along with your Kids Vrij season ticket for a fee of € 7.50. Kids Vrij must be ordered separately.
You travel on a variety of routes during rush hour.
- Do you travel on a fixed route, for example when commuting, and does a one-way journey take more than 45 minutes? Then Altijd Vrij will probably be cheaper for you than Traject Vrij.
- Are you able to travel during off-peak hours? With Dal Vrij you get unlimited travel during off-peak hours and on weekends. This can help you to save money on your travel expenses.
Get more out of your season ticket
Several supplements are available with season tickets, offering you even more NS services. Store your bicycle on account, without separate season ticket expenses; rent an OV-fiets bicycle at more than 300 locations in the Netherlands; or travel without a supplement on the Intercity Direct between Rotterdam Centraal and Schiphol.
Unlimited travel by bus, tram and metro (OV Vrij)
Exclusive to Altijd Vrij: unlimited travel by bus, tram and metro for an extra € 58.70 per month only.
Good to know
You will receive your new personal OV-chipkaart for free with an annual season ticket. For a monthly season ticket, you will be charged a €7.50 for a new OV-chipkaart.
Your new OV-chipkaart (with your season ticket) will be delivered to your home within one week.
Season ticket within one day with an existing OV-chipkaart
If you already have your own personal OV-chipkaart (with photograph), then enter the OV-chipkaart number when ordering your season ticket. You can then download your season ticket within one working day from an NS Ticket Machine. That way, you can travel with a discount right away!
Season ticket term
You may choose from an annual season ticket or a season ticket that automatically expires after one month. An annual season ticket will save you more money in the long run.
Annual season tickets
After the first year, you can cancel your season ticket at the end of each month. We will then refund any amount you have remaining on your account.
You also have the option of switching to a more expensive season ticket during the first year.
You pay for your season ticket on a monthly basis. You can pay the season ticket costs for the first month quickly and securely via your own bank using iDeal. Your first payment completes the order process and confirms your banking details. The remaining season ticket costs will automatically be debited from your bank account each month.
If you would rather pay your season ticket costs with one lump sum, then you can pay the entire amount via iDeal.
If you do not have iDeal, but you do have a personal OV-chipkaart, you can order a season ticket by telephone. NS Customer Service is available 24 hours per day.
Download the season ticket product conditions.
Other customers also viewedCheck all season tickets
- 40% discount on weekends.
- 40% discount when you travel during off-peak hours
- 20% discount during peak hours
- Unlimited travel on weekends
- Unlimited travel during off-peak hours.
- Unlimited travel along a select route
- 40% discount on other routes
OV Vrij: unlimited travel by train, bus, tram and metro
With OV Vrij, you can enjoy unlimited travel by train, bus, tram or metro for a fixed amount per month. OV Vrij is valid on all Dutch public transport carriers. The OV Vrij season ticket costs € 404.70 per month, and includes € 346 (for your Altijd Vrij season ticket) + € 58.70 (for bus, tram and metro). You order OV Vrij for at least one year. After the first year, you can cancel your season ticket at the end of each month.
Order OV Vrij – you do not have an Altijd Vrij season ticket
You may only order OV Vrij if you also have an Altijd Vrij season ticket. It is possible to order both season tickets at once. When you order the OV Vrij package, you will not see OV Vrij; the screen will show Áltijd Vrij, and bus, tram and metro service will be indicated by a check next to the option 'BTM Vrij'.
Order OV vrij – you already have an Altijd Vrij season ticket
For only € 55.50 per month, you can order BTM Vrij as an extra option for your current season ticket. To do so, login to Mijn NS, go to 'Products' and select 'Change or expand' under Altijd Vrij. You can then request BTM Vrij under 'Extra Options'.
Download the product conditions for BTM Vrij (in Dutch)
Extra season tickets
You can order 3 free Kids Vrij supplemental season tickets for every season ticket you hold. With Kids Vrij, children can travel for free using their own OV-Chipkaart. You can only order a free Kids Vrij season ticket if your child has his or her own OV-chipkaart. If your child does not have an OV-chipkaart, you can order one for an extra € 7.50 when you order the Kids Vrij season ticket.
For some season tickets, it is possible to order one or more extra season tickets. These are called 'additional season ticket'.
What are additional season tickets?
You can order an additional season ticket for an adult or child aged 12 or older living at the same address. These additional season tickets are not available separately, but must always be linked to an NS season ticket. They are renewed automatically, but can be cancelled with one month's notice after the first year.
Which additional season tickets are available?
The selection of available additional season tickets depends on which NS season ticket you have. Below is a list of additional season tickets for each NS season ticket:
- Weekend Vrij: an extra Weekend Vrij season ticket for a maximum of 1 family member.
- Dal Vrij: an extra Weekend Vrij or Dal Vrij season ticket for a maximum of 1 family member.
- Altijd Vrij or OV Vrij: an extra Altijd Vrij, Weekend Vrij or Dal Vrij season ticket for a maximum of 4 family members, or a maximum of 3 free Kids Vrij season tickets for the 4 additional season tickets.
How to order
If you already have a season ticket, then you can order an additional season ticket for a child or family member via Mijn NS. If your family member or child does not have an OV-chipkaart, or if the OV-chipkaart will expire within 8 weeks, then you can order a new card along with the season ticket for an extra fee of € 7.50.
If you do not yet have a season ticket, then you can purchase one or more additional season tickets when you order your main season ticket. If your family member or child does not have an OV-chipkaart, or if the OV-chipkaart will expire within 8 weeks, then you can order a new card along with the season ticket for an extra fee of € 7.50.
Once your order is complete, you will receive a confirmation via e-mail telling you how to download the season ticket at an NS ticket machine or other OV-chipkaart top-up point.
Your additional season ticket will always start on the same day of the month that your main season ticket begins. We will need to receive your application no later than 2 weeks prior to this date.
Travelling during national holidays
Which holidays does NS celebrate?
- New Year's day
- Good Friday
- King's day
- 5 May - Liberation day (next official holiday in 2020)
- Ascension day
- Christmas and Boxing day
Do you have a Weekend Vrij season ticket?
If so, then you can also travel for free on holidays, even if they fall on a weekday.
Do you have a different season ticket?
Then you can enjoy the normal season ticket discount all day long on official holidays.
Changing or cancelling your season ticket
Changing your season ticket
Cancelling your season ticket
There are several methods to cancel your NS season ticket. After cancelling your season ticket, you must delete it from your OV-chipkaart. Cancellation periods differ for each season ticket. Read more.