Benefits of this season ticket
- Unlimited travel during off-peak hours
- Unlimited travel on weekends
- 40% discount for 3 travel companions
- Free personal OV-chipkaart
Unlimited travel during off-peak hours and on weekends
With the Dal Vrij season ticket, you can enjoy unlimited travel during off-peak hours, on weekends and on public holidays with all Dutch rail companies.
- Samenreiskorting: 40% discount for 3 travel companions.
- Discounts on Dutch sections of InterCity Berlin and ICE International routes. Valid with supplement in Intercity direct between Schiphol Airport and Rotterdam Central.
- Only €10 balance needed to check in during rush hour (off-peak travel is free)
Benefits of an NS season ticket
- Free copy of Spoor magazine 5x per year with interesting offers.
- Exclusive offers for season ticket holders.
- Manage your season ticket with a single, convenient overview in Mijn NS. Find your journeys in your travel history, and request refunds for delays or when you forget to check out.
- 15% discount on international travel with RAILPLUS, for an extra € 15 per year.
- Discounts on GreenWheels car sharing and Q-Park P+R parking facilities.
- 3x free Kids Vrij. Children may accompany you for free. If your child does not have an OV-chipkaart, then you can purchase one along with your Kids Vrij season ticket for a fee of € 7.50. Kids Vrij must be ordered separately.
When is travel free?
During off-peak hours you have unlimited travel
from Monday to Friday between 09:00 and 16:00 and between 18:30 and 06:30.
On weekends you have unlimited travel
from 18:30 on Friday evening until 06:30 on Monday morning.
On holidays you have unlimited travel
all day long.
If you check in during off-peak hours, but check out during peak hours, then you still travel for free.
Dal Vrij is particularly beneficial if you travel a lot, and can travel outside of peak hours.
- Do you generally travel on 1 route? Dal Vrij is often cheaper than Traject Vrij
- Do you generally travel during the weekend? Then consider Weekend Vrij
- If you often travel during peak hours, consider Altijd Vrij
Extra discount for 65-plus
Anyone aged 65 or older is eligible for up to more than a 50% discount off the price of a Dal Vrij season ticket. Simply enter your date of birth when ordering the season ticket, and we will automatically calculate the correct price.
Get more out of your season ticket
Several supplements are available for the Dal Vrij season ticket, offering you even more NS services. Store your bicycle on account, without separate season ticket expenses; rent an OV-fiets bicycle at more than 300 locations in the Netherlands; or travel with a supplement in the Intercity direct between Schiphol and Rotterdam Central.
You can order these supplements together with your season ticket.
Good to know
You will receive your new personal OV-chipkaart for free with an annual season ticket. Your new personal OV-chipkaart (with your season ticket) will be delivered to your home within one week.
Season ticket within one day with an existing OV-chipkaart
If you already have your own personal OV-chipkaart (with photograph), then enter the OV-chipkaart number when ordering your season ticket. You can then download your season ticket within one working day from an NS Ticket Machine. That way, you can travel with a discount right away!
Season ticket term
Your season ticket is valid for a term of one year. After the first year, you may cancel your season ticket at any time, with a month's notice. We will then refund any amount remaining on your balance.
You also have the option of switching to a more expensive season ticket during the first year
You pay for your season ticket on a monthly basis. You can pay the season ticket costs for the first month quickly and securely via your own bank using iDeal. Your first payment completes the order process and confirms your banking details. The remaining season ticket costs will automatically be debited from your bank account each month.
If you would rather pay your season ticket costs with one lump sum, then you can pay the entire amount via iDeal.
If you do not have iDeal, but you do have a personal OV-chipkaart, you can order a season ticket by telephone. NS Customer Service is available 24 hours per day.
Download the season ticket product conditions.
Other customers also viewedCheck all season tickets
- 40% discount on weekends.
- 40% discount when you travel during off-peak hours
- Unlimited travel on weekends
- 40% discount when you travel during off-peak hours
- Unlimited travel along a select route
- 40% discount on other routes
Anyone aged 65 or older is eligible for a discount on the price of an annual season ticket. The prices listed below are the discount prices per month.
- Weekend vrij. 2nd class price: € 23. 1st class price: € 29 per month
- Dal Vrij. 2nd class price: € 44. 1st class price: € 69 per month
Prices as of 1 January 2018.
Extra season tickets
You can order 3 free Kids Vrij supplemental season tickets for every season ticket you hold. With Kids Vrij, children can travel for free using their own OV-Chipkaart. You can only order a free Kids Vrij season ticket if your child has his or her own OV-chipkaart. If your child does not have an OV-chipkaart, you can order one for an extra € 7.50 when you order the Kids Vrij season ticket.
For some season tickets, it is possible to order one or more extra season tickets. These are called 'additional season tickets'.
What are additional season tickets?
You can order an additional season ticket for an adult or child aged 12 or older living at the same address. These additional season tickets are not available separately, but must always be linked to an NS season ticket. They are renewed automatically, but can be cancelled with one month's notice after the first year.
Which additional season tickets are available?
The selection of available additional season tickets depends on which NS season ticket you have. Below is a list of additional season tickets for each NS season ticket:
- Weekend Vrij: an extra Weekend Vrij season ticket for a maximum of 1 family member.
- Dal Vrij: an extra Weekend Vrij or Dal Vrij season ticket for a maximum of 1 family member.
- Altijd Vrij or OV Vrij: an extra Altijd Vrij, Weekend Vrij or Dal Vrij season ticket for a maximum of 4 family members, or a maximum of 3 free Kids Vrij season tickets for the 4 additional season tickets.
How to order
If you already have a season ticket, then you can order an additional season ticket for a child or family member via Mijn NS. If your family member or child does not have an OV-chipkaart, or if the OV-chipkaart will expire within 8 weeks, then you can order a new card along with the season ticket for an extra fee of € 7.50.
If you do not yet have a season ticket, then you can purchase one or more additional season tickets when you order your main season ticket. If your family member or child does not have an OV-chipkaart, or if the OV-chipkaart will expire within 8 weeks, then you can order a new card along with the season ticket for an extra fee of € 7.50.
Once your order is complete, you will receive a confirmation via e-mail telling you how to download the season ticket at an NS ticket machine or other OV-chipkaart top-up point.
Your additional season ticket will always start on the same day of the month that your main season ticket begins. We will need to receive your application no later than 2 weeks prior to this date.
Travelling during national holidays
Which holidays does NS celebrate?
- New Year's day
- Good Friday
- King's day
- 5 May - Liberation day (next official holiday in 2020)
- Ascension day
- Christmas and Boxing day
Do you have a Weekend Vrij season ticket?
If so, then you can also travel for free on holidays, even if they fall on a weekday.
Do you have a different season ticket?
Then you can enjoy the normal season ticket discount all day long on official holidays.
Calculating transfer costs
At some stations, travellers must pass through the check-in gates to transfer between trains. That means you have to check out and then check in again to continue your journey. If you do so within 35 minutes, on transfers from one NS train to another, then you will be charged the same rate, because the time of your first check-in with NS determines whether you travel for free, with a discount or for the full price for your entire journey with NS.
If you start your journey with another rail carrier and then transfer to NS, or start with NS and transfer to another carrier, then the time of the transfer determines whether you can travel for free, with a discount or for the full price.
If you would like to know more, please visit the page for calculating discounts for transfers.