Benefits of this season ticket
- Unlimited travel along a select route
- 40% discount on other routes during off-peak hours
- 40% discount for 3 travel companions
Unlimited travel on a fixed route
With Traject Vrij you get unlimited travel all day, every day on 1 fixed route. You also get a 40% discount on all travel during off-peak hours, on weekends and during holidays.
- Unlimited travel on a fixed route
- 40% discount during off-peak hours, on weekends and during holidays for all other routes
- Travel on account for other routes. No balance required.
- Samenreiskorting: 40% discount for 3 travel companions
- Discount also applies for other rail carriers and on Dutch routes used by Intercity Berlijn and ICE International
Travel on account with Traject Vrij
With Traject Vrij you can travel on the train without having balance. You get unlimited travel on your chosen route. On all other routes you can travel on account. Simply check in and out and you will receive an invoice for the journeys you have made at the end of the month, even if you have travelled with a different rail carrier.
Benefits of an NS season ticket
- Free copy of Spoor magazine 5x per year with interesting offers.
- Exclusive offers for season ticket holders.
- Manage your season ticket with a single, convenient overview in Mijn NS. Find your journeys in your travel history, and request refunds for delays or when you forget to check out.
- 15% discount on international travel with RAILPLUS, for an extra € 15 per year.
(PLEASE NOTE: as of 15 December, NMBS (Belgian Railways) will no longer participate in RAILPLUS. From that date on, you will no longer be eligible for a discount on tickets to or through Belgium).
- Discounts on Greenwheels car sharing (one-time only) and Q-Park P+R parking facilities.
- 3 free Kids Vrij: Children may accompany you for free. If your child does not have an OV-chipkaart, then you can purchase one along with your Kids Vrij season ticket for a fee of € 7.50. Kids Vrij must be ordered separately.
When is the discount valid?
Enjoy unlimited travel along your selected route
all day, every day.
Outside of your selected route
During off-peak hours, with 40% discount
from Monday to Friday between 09:00 and 16:00 and between 18:30 and 06:30.
At the weekend with 40% discount
from 18:30 on Friday evening until 06:30 on Monday morning.
On holidays with 40% discount
all day long.
The moment you check in determines whether you can travel with a discount. If you check in during off-peak hours, but check out during peak hours, then you still receive a 40% discount. If you check in during peak hours, and check out during off-peak hours, you are not eligible for a discount.
When does Traject Vrij help save money?
When you regularly travel during peak hours on a fixed route, such as to and from work.
Get more out of your season ticket
Several supplements are available for the Traject Vrij season ticket, offering you even more NS services. Store your bicycle on account, without separate season ticket expenses; rent an OV-fiets bicycle at more than 300 locations in the Netherlands; or travel without a supplement on the Intercity Direct between Rotterdam Centraal and Schiphol.
You can order these supplements together with your season ticket.
Good to know
You will receive your new personal OV-chipkaart for free with an annual season ticket. For a monthly season ticket, you will be charged a €7.50 for a new OV-chipkaart.
Your new OV-chipkaart (with your season ticket) will be delivered to your home within one week.
Season ticket within one day with an existing OV-chipkaart
If you already have your own personal OV-chipkaart (with photograph), then enter the OV-chipkaart number when ordering your season ticket. You can then download your season ticket within one working day from an NS Ticket Machine. That way, you can travel with a discount right away!
Season ticket term
You may choose from an annual season ticket or a season ticket that automatically expires after one month. An annual season ticket will save you more money in the long run.
Annual season ticket
After the first year, you can cancel your season ticket at the end of each month.
You can change your route at the end of each month if necessary, even during the first year of the season ticket. You also have the option of switching to a more expensive season ticket.
You pay for your season ticket on a monthly basis. You can pay the season ticket costs for the first month quickly and securely via your own bank using iDeal. Your first payment completes the order process and confirms your banking details.
Season ticket costs for an annual season ticket are automatically deducted from your bank account each month. If you would rather pay your season ticket costs with one lump sum, then you can pay the entire amount via iDeal.
Travel outside your route
The costs for travel outside of your selected route will be billed at the end of the month. If you have a monthly season ticket, you will receive a separate invoice. If you have an annual season ticket, your travel costs will be debited from your account the end of the month along with your season ticket costs.
If you do not have iDeal, but you do have a personal OV-chipkaart, you can order a season ticket by telephone. NS Customer Service is available 24 hours per day.
Download the season ticket product conditions.
Other customers also viewedCheck all season tickets
- 40% discount on weekends.
- 40% discount when you travel during off-peak hours
- 20% discount during peak hours
- Unlimited travel on weekends
- Unlimited travel during off-peak hours.
- Unlimited travel on weekends
- Unlimited travel during off-peak hours.
- Unlimited travel during peak hours.
Travelling during national holidays
Which holidays does NS celebrate?
- New Year's day
- Good Friday
- King's day
- 5 May - Liberation day (next official holiday in 2020)
- Ascension day
- Christmas and Boxing day
Do you have a Weekend Vrij season ticket?
If so, then you can also travel for free on holidays, even if they fall on a weekday.
Do you have a different season ticket?
Then you can enjoy the normal season ticket discount all day long on official holidays.
Calculating transfer costs
At some stations, travellers must pass through the check-in gates to transfer between trains. That means you have to check out and then check in again to continue your journey. If you do so within 35 minutes, on transfers from one NS train to another, then you will be charged the same rate, because the time of your first check-in with NS determines whether you travel for free, with a discount or for the full price for your entire journey with NS.
If you start your journey with another rail carrier and then transfer to NS, or start with NS and transfer to another carrier, then the time of the transfer determines whether you can travel for free, with a discount or for the full price.
If you would like to know more, please visit the page for calculating discounts for transfers.
Changing or cancelling your season ticket
Changing your season ticket
Cancelling your season ticket
There are several methods to cancel your NS season ticket. After cancelling your season ticket, you must delete it from your OV-chipkaart. Cancellation periods differ for each season ticket. Read more.