Do you have a 2nd class season ticket but would like to enjoy some extra comfort in 1st class for a change? Then you can easily change class for a day before departure at any NS ticket machine. You can also permanently change your season ticket's class using Mijn NS. Changing class is also possible with an Optional Day.
Flexible travel class changes
Changing classes permanently
Monthly season tickets and Travel on account
You cannot change your travel class permanently if you have a monthly season ticket or Travel on account. Read here how you can purchase a travel class change and download it to your OV-chipkaart at an NS Ticket Machine.
Annual season tickets
- Log in to your Mijn NS account
- Go to My Products
- Select 'Class change'
Permanent change from 2nd to 1st class
You can permanently change the travel class for your season ticket from 2nd class to 1st class at any time.
Permanent change from 1st to 2nd class
You can permanently change the travel class for your season ticket from 1st to 2nd class at any moment after the end of your first contract year.
Please note: if you have a Voordeeluren season ticket with paper Keuzedagen tickets, you can only change your travel class per contract year.
The price differs for each season ticket. You can change classes both with and without a season ticket.
Class change for unlimited travel
Do you have a season ticket which grants you unlimited travel for a specific period of time? Then you can change class for a whole day for a fixed price. You can do this with Altijd Vrij, Dal Vrij, Weekend Vrij and Traject Vrij season tickets, Grensabonnement and student travel products.
You can choose from the following variants:
- Toeslag 2-1 Dag: change class for the whole day for €25
- Toeslag 2-1 Daluren: change class on Monday to Friday during off-peak hours (before 6.30, between 9.00-16.00 and after 18.30), for a limited time only € 9
- Toeslag 2-1 Weekenddag: travel in a different class on the weekend all day long, for a limited time only € 5
Changing class with a discount season ticket
If you travel using a discount season ticket (Dal Voordeel, Altijd Voordeel and Voordeeluren season tickets) then you pay the adjusted price for the journey in a different class. When you check in, the price for your journey in a different class is calculated automatically. During the weekend, you can change class for a whole day for a fixed price. For a limited time only € 5 with the Toeslag 2-1 Weekenddag.
Class change without a season ticket
If you travel on balance without a season ticket, then you pay the adjusted price for the journey in a different class. When you check out, the price for your journey in a different class is calculated automatically.
Changing class for a day
You can arrange a change of class for a day before departure at an NS ticket machine. This is quick and easy to do. The way in which you load class changes onto your OV-chipkaart differs.
You can only change travel classes after departure if you have NS Flex.
Good to know/h2>
- Always arrange your class change using an NS ticket machine before checking in.
- The change is valid until 4.00 the following morning.
- You can perform or revert the change multiple times in one day.
- You cannot cancel the change in Mijn NS or Mijn NS Zakelijk.
- During your first contract year, you can change the class of your Keuzedagen whenever you like.
- Kids Vrij shares the same class as the parent or guardian.
Please note: After performing a class change using a ticket machine, you still have to check in.