Do you have a 2nd class season ticket but would like to enjoy some extra comfort in 1st class for a change? Then you can easily change class for a day using an NS ticket machine. You can also permanently change your season ticket's class using Mijn NS. Changing class is also possible with an Optional Day.
Changing class for a day
You can arrange a change of class for a day at an NS ticket machine. This is quick and easy to do. The way in which you load class changes onto your OV-chipkaart differs.
The price differs for each season ticket. You can change classes both with and without a season ticket.
Class change for unlimited travel
Do you have a season ticket which grants you unlimited travel for a specific period of time? Then you can change class for a whole day for a fixed price. You can do this with Altijd Vrij, Dal Vrij, Weekend Vrij and Traject Vrij season tickets, Grensabonnement and student travel products.
You can choose from the following variants:
- Toeslag 2-1 Dag: change class for the whole day for €25
- Toeslag 2-1 Daluren: change class on Monday to Friday during off-peak hours (before 6.30, between 9.00-16.00 and after 18.30), for a limited time only € 9
- Toeslag 2-1 Weekenddag: travel in a different class on the weekend all day long, for a limited time only € 5
Changing class with a discount season ticket
If you travel using a discount season ticket (Dal Voordeel, Altijd Voordeel and Voordeeluren season tickets) then you pay the adjusted price for the journey in a different class. When you check in, the price for your journey in a different class is calculated automatically. During the weekend, you can change class for a whole day for a fixed price. For a limited time only € 5 with the Toeslag 2-1 Weekenddag.
Class change without a season ticket
If you travel on balance without a season ticket, then you pay the adjusted price for the journey in a different class. When you check out, the price for your journey in a different class is calculated automatically.
Good to know
- Always arrange your class change using an NS ticket machine before checking in.
- The change is valid until 4.00 the following morning.
- You can perform or revert the change multiple times in one day.
- You cannot cancel the change in Mijn NS or Mijn NS Zakelijk.
- During your first contract year, you can change the class of your Keuzedagen whenever you like.
- Kids Vrij shares the same class as the parent or guardian.
Please note: After performing a class change using a ticket machine, you still have to check in.
Changing classes permanently
- Permanently changing from 2nd class to 1st class
You can permanently change your season ticket class from 2nd class to 1st class at any time.
- Permanently changing from 1st class to 2nd class
You can permanently change your season ticket class from 1st class to 2nd class at any time after your first contract year.
Only holders of an annual season ticket may permanently change the class for their season ticket (on the day of the month that the contract started). Monthly season ticket holders cannot change classes, but they can change their class for the day by buying a class change from the NS Ticket Machine and downloading the class change to their OV-chipkaart. With a Voordeelurenabonnement with paper Keuzedagen it is only possible to change classes per contract year.