6x the best restaurants for foodies in Zwolle
Zwolle: a city of charming streets, historic hotspots and boutiques full of fantastic finds. But above all: the Hanseatic city is a veritable Valhalla for foodies. So we'd like to share our six favourite restaurants in Zwolle, so you know exactly where to go when you arrive at Zwolle station with a bit of an appetite.
1. Honestly delicious at Engels Winkelcafé
We'd like to introduce you to Engels Winkelcafé: the perfect combination of shopping and dining. This is a perfect place to enjoy a cup of coffee and fresh breakfast or lunch dishes, along with some great bargains. Everything is local, and everything has a fascinating story. Pick up a new fleece by Texels Vilt, or some artistic porcelain from a studio around the corner. At this hidden gem, you can enjoy local, organic seasonal produce, from pleasant pastries to healthy breakfasts. Definitely check out this unique spot, where tasty food and unique products come together.
Engels Winkelcafé is a 20-minute walk from Zwolle station, or a 7-minute ride with an OV-fiets.
- Open Monday to Saturday from 08:00 - 17:30, and Sunday from 09:30 - 17:00.
- You can order lunch here for around € 10 p.p.
Sassenstraat 11, dehorecamannen.nl
2. Unexpected culinary creations at Restaurant NOÏS
Foodies be warned: if you're looking for an unforgettable culinary experience, look no further than Restaurant NOÏS. Chef Vincent and his talented team here serve up a dynamic international cuisine. What's on the menu? There isn't one. Vincent gives his creativity free rein, and astonishes guests with his culinary creations. The result is always exceptional dishes that tickle your taste buds. Hostess Laura and her own team provide an amazingly hospitable experience as well. This is the place where passion for wine and food come together. Experience an unforgettable evening in one of Zwolle's absolute best restaurants.
From Zwolle station, it's less than a 15-minute walk to Restaurant NOÏS.
- We recommend that you make reservations via the website in advance.
- Lunch: Thursday to Saturday from 12:00 – 14:00; dinner: Tuesday to Saturday from 18:00 - 22:00.
- Lunch costs around +/- € 45 p.p., and dinner is +/- € 90 p.p.
Oude Vismarkt 10, restaurant-nois.nl
3. Passion for delicious food and beverages at Bij Hartje Zwolle
Bij Hartje Zwolle is a unique restaurant, because it gives you total control over your own brunch and dinner. You can choose from a variety of home-made dishes prepared with local ingredients. Simply check the items on the menu that you'd like to see served on your wooden platter. Would you like a goat cheese burger with beets? A steaming bowl of Thai broccoli soup? Or an abnormally appetizing hedgehog slice? Why not just order them all? You can order two dishes for each round. It's a fun concept that gives you a chance to try everything.
The restaurant is a 20-minute walk from Zwolle station, or you can rent an OV-fiets and be there in just 5 minutes.
- Opening hours: Monday from 12:00 - 18:00, Tuesday to Thursday, Saturday and Sunday from 10:00 - 18:00, and Friday from 10:00 - 22:00.
- You can order an All Day Brunch for around € 20 p.p.
Burgemeester Drijbersingel 67, bijhartjezwolle.nl
4. Music, art, plants and food at De Nieuwe Keuken Zwolle
At restaurant De Nieuwe Keuken in Zwolle, it's not just about eating and drinking. Dance, music, art, plants, theatre and culture also get their moment in the spotlight here. It's one of Zwolle's unique hotspots that exudes creativity out of every pore. The restaurant's focus is on the vegetarian foodies. Its 4-course dinners are always vegetarian. But they will also serve meat and fish upon request. And of course, no good meal is complete without an excellent wine. The sommelier is happy to tell all about the wines from the Loire in France, or Lombardy in Italy. But the place is also a feast for the eye as much as for the tongue.
You can walk to De Nieuwe Keuken from Zwolle station in around 10 minutes.
- Make reservations via the website in advance to make sure you can get a table.
- Open Wednesday & Thursday from 17:30 - 23:00, Friday & Saturday from 17:30 - 00:00, and Sunday from 17:00 - 22:00.
- You can enjoy a 4-course dinner here for € 40.
Assendorperplein 9, denieuwekeuken-zwolle.nl
5. Chique dining experience in a former blacksmith's: Restaurant Poppe
Restaurant Poppe feels like a warm blanket. The restaurant is located in a former blacksmith's workshop, on the edge of Zwolle's historic city centre. From their kitchen in the middle of the restaurant, the chefs forge a wide range of culinary masterpieces. The juicy leg of lamb with pesto dressing and curry onions earns glowing praise. And if you're a wine lover, the cellar is full of familiar French varieties. Each one as memorable as a blacksmith's hammer on the tastebuds. There's a reason why Poppe is considered to be one of Zwolle's favourite restaurants.
Restaurant Poppe is just an 8-minute walk from Zwolle station.
- Make sure to reserve a table via the website in advance.
- Open Monday to Friday from 17:00 -23:30, and Saturday & Sunday from 12:00 - 23:30.
- Lunch costs around € 20 p.p., and a dinner main course is around € 25 p.p.
Luttekestraat 66, poppezwolle.nl
6. Home-made treats at De Gillende Keukenmeiden
We have one last fantastic tip for you in Zwolle: De Gillende Keukenmeiden. This is the place to enjoy home-made organic dishes. An ideal address for breakfast, lunch and coffee. Or you can go all-out with a complete high tea. We recommend the vegan pastries: an institution among Zwollenaren. Take your shoes off and feel the grass between your toes in the cosy garden terrace. Or find a table inside among the friendly locals. This colourful hotspot is a perfect place to add some selfies to your Instagram feed.You can ride to the fun lunchroom on an OV-fiets from Zwolle station in around 10 minutes.
- De Gillende Keukenmeiden is open daily from 10:00 – 17:00
- You can order lunch here for around € 10 p.p.
Meerminneplein 7, gillende-keukenmeiden.nl
Copy: Anne-Floor van Nunen - Insiders
Image: Engel, Gillende Keukenmeiden, Noïs, Poppe
More inspiration for your day trip.
24 hours like a local in Zwolle
Discover the highlights of this Hanseatic city through the eyes of the locals.
24 hours of art and culture in Zwolle
From art galleries and cosy bookstores, to historic city walks.
24 hours in Zwolle
From the historic Hanseatic history, to hip hotspots loved by locals.