Medical examinations as a result of the detection of chromium trioxide
Since October 2015, current and former employees (including temporary staff and freelancers) who are concerned about health problems that may be due to exposure to chromium trioxide can register with the CAOP. Via the CAOP, they can then request a medical examination. Below you can find more information about the medical examination and the Instituut voor Klinische Arbeidsgeneeskunde Nederland (Institute for Clinical Occupational Medicine - IKA Ned), which conducts the medical examination as an independent expert specialised in the field. We hope that this information provides more insight about what to expect from the process.
Where can I go with my questions?
- Medical exam flow chart (pdf, 200 kB)
- Information brochure 1: What to expect from the medical examination (pdf, 63 kB)
- Informational brochure 2: What happens after the medical examination? (pdf, 72 kB)
- Informational brochure 3: What to expect from the IKA clinical occupational health exam (pdf, 68 kB)
Information about the medical examinations
IKA Ned B.V.& is a consulting bureau for clinical occupational health, and is a leading expert in the field of occupational diseases. IKA Ned conducts independent medical examinations by physicians who are specialised in providing an expert opinion about possible relationships between certain conditions and exposure to chromium trioxide. These physicians are assisted by two clinical occupational medicine specialists, an occupational hygienist, a dermatologist, a lung specialist and a specialist in work-related cancer. The examination will result in an independent evaluation of whether or not there is a possible connection between a condition and exposure to chromium trioxide.
What does the examination entail?
- Health information: based on the information provided by the RIVM, you will be informed about the possible risks of exposure to chromium trioxide.
- Survey: together with a physician, you will fill out a questionnaire about any complaints or conditions you may have, as well as your employment details.
- Evaluation of medical and personnel dossier: if necessary, the physician wil ask you to request your medical information from your general practitioner or specialist. Employment details from your personnel file are also important, such as the duration of your employment with NedTrain, the work you performed or the use of protective equipment.
- Prior history and work situation: the physician will ask you about your work situation and your medical history, in order to determine whether any complaints might be related to work-related exposure to chromium trioxide.
- Lung, skin, and nose examination: during the examination, the physician will look at your nose (are there any lesions or sores?) and your skin (possible presence of rashes?). If necessary, he or she can also perform a lung examination.
- Report: all of the information will be recorded in a report, with a recommendation about how to deal with the findings. This report will only be made available to you. If you desire, the report can also be explained in more detail.
It is possible that the medical examination finds nothing wrong, but you can still become ill in the future, because exposure to chromium trioxide does not always result in immediate health complaints. If you develop complaints that you think might be related to past exposure to chromium trioxide, please inform your doctor that you have worked with the substance in the past, and bring along the 'Health Risks of Chromium Trioxide' information pamphlet for physicians. This information pamphlet was also distributed to all general practitioners in 2015.
If the medical examination does not eliminate the possibility of a relationship between health complaints and exposure to chromium trioxide, IKA Ned may recommend a more comprehensive specialist examination. This examination will result in a report that can be used in the context of claims for damages.
Your privacy is protected
The results of the specialist medical examination and the contents of the consultation with the clinical occupational medicine specialist will not be shared with NS.
It may be reassuring to know that you are not obliged to participate in the examination offered by NS. You are entirely free to request an examination elsewhere, such as via a referral from your general practitioner. If the costs for the medical examination fall within your health insurance deductible, then NS will reimburse you for your expenses.
The medical examination by IKA Ned can provide you with evidence for potential damage claims. We therefore recommend that you enlist the services of an advocate before scheduling the medical examination. NS would also like to come into contact with you or our advocate, in order to coordinate to ensure the smooth conduct of the examination and any damage claims.
If you wish to submit a claim, please submit it officially to NedTrain. The NS Insurance department will then process the claim.
Instituut voor Klinische Arbeidsgeneeskunde Nederland (IKA Ned B.V.)
Loosdrechtse Bos 17
1213 RH Hilversum
085 009 0005
Directie NedTrain B.V.
p/a NS Insurance
3501 DC Utrecht