Go to content

Main navigation


If your OV-chipkaart is lost, stolen or damaged, or your train is delayed, you can request a refund. But there are also other situations in which you may be eligible for a refund. We would be happy to provide you with more information on how to request a refund.

The answer to your question...

Refunds for delays

We understand how inconvenient it can be when you have a delay during your domestic journey with NS. When you encounter a delay of 30 minutes or more, you can request a refund of part of the ticket price.

Refunds when you forget your season ticket

Do you have an NS season ticket, but you forgot to bring your OV-chipkaart to the station with you? No problem! Just make sure that you have a valid ticket for your journey, and you can request a refund for the cost of travelling with NS later.

Refunds for loss or theft

If your OV-chipkaart or NS-Business Card with a season ticket is lost or stolen, then you can request a replacement card. If you need your season ticket, but your replacement card has not yet arrived, you can request temporary travel via Mijn NS or NS Customer Service. Temporary tickets are not available with the NS-Business Card. Read below for more information about how to claim travel expenses.

Refunds for travel on international trains

If you experience a delay on an international route, you may request a refund. Simply fill in the online request form 'Refund for delays'.

Requesting an OV-verklaring

If you pay your own travel costs for your journey to work, you can request a travel deduction from the Tax Authority. To do so, you will need an OV-verklaring or a travel declaration (proof that you've travelled on public transport). Since NS reports season ticket data directly to the Tax Authority (for both monthly- and annual season tickets), you do not need to request an OV-verklaring from NS.