Travelling by train & bike
Spring is back and that means only one thing: time to venture into the great outdoors! Feel like exploring by bike? Try an OV Fiets shared bike! You can also bring your bike on the train if there is enough space. Discover your options.
Feel like taking a trip by train & bike?
You can take your bicycle on the train with you, but there are some rules for this. Following these helps to ensure a pleasant and responsible journey for everyone.
- You may take a maximum of one bicycle per person on the train.
- You can only take your bicycle on the train from Monday to Friday from 9.00 am to 4.00 pm and from 6.30 pm to 6.30 am, and all day on the weekend. On public holidays and during the months of July and August, you can also take your bicycle on the train all day long.
- If there is room, you may put your bicycle only in the space on the train that is specially intended for bikes, and you must remove any bagage on your bicycle. This ensures everyone stays safe.
- If there is no designated bicycle space available on the train, then you may not take your bicycle with you. If this is the case, take the next train and follow the directions given by the NS staff.
- Remember to purchase a Fietskaart Dal (Off-peak bicycle ticket), as you need to have a ticket for your bicycle too.
- Plan your journey in advance using the NS app or the Travel Planner on ns.nl.
Please note: cargo bikes, children's bicycle trailers and handcarts are not permitted on the train and you may not take them with you.
A Fietskaart Dal (Off-peak bicycle ticket) costs € 7.50 and can be purchased in the NS app, on ns.nl and from an NS ticket machine. Make sure to check the terms and conditions beforehand.
Tip: grab an OV Fiets!
You can rent OV Fiets shared bikes at lots of stations, for just € 4.45 per bike per 24 hours. What's more, you can rent two bikes with just one (free) subscription. With the NS app, you can check beforehand how many bikes are still available at your station of choice. Experience true freedom and take an OV Fiets shared bike for the last leg of your journey.
FAQ about bringing your bike on the train
Which bicycles can you take on the train?
'Bicycle' means a normal bicycle, recumbent bicycle, electric bicycle, tandem, racing bicycle, BMX and disassembled bicycle. These bicycles may be taken on the train.
Cargo bicycles, bicycle trailers and handcarts are not permitted and may not be taken on the train.
Do I need to buy a ticket?
Yes, whenever you take your bicycle on the train, you need to purchase a Fietskaart Dal (Off-peak bicycle ticket) for your bicycle. This is the official ticket for your bicycle when you are travelling on the train.
If you are disabiled and use an adapted bicycle as a mobility aid, you can bring this bicycle with you free of charge if you satisfy the criteria specified in the NS Travel Assistance Conditions.
May I take my folding bicycle on the train?
- You can take your folding bike on the train free of charge if you fold it up, even during rush hour. You do not have to book a place for your folding bicycle.
- Fold your bicycle before boarding, and unfold it after disembarking from the train.
- You may not under any circumstances block access to external doors, internal doors or aisles with your folding bicycle (or luggage). This is for safety reasons, as all doors are emergency exits.
Can I take my bicycle abroad?
- During rush hour and in the summer months of July and August, bicycle transport on the Intercity Berlin en Intercity Brussels is reserved for passengers with an international bicycle ticket and mandatory bicycle booking.
- Outside of this period, you can also take your bicycle on the domestic routes of the Intercity Berlin and Intercity Brussels. It is not possible to book travel on a domestic route.
In all cases, there must be sufficient space on the train. The train is very busy in summer, in particular, and it may not be possible for all bicycles to be transported.
Can I bring my bicycle when buses are being used?
No, you may not bring your bicycle with you on an NS bus. Regrettably, there is no space for bicycles.
How do I take my bike past the barriers?
Present your travel product to the card reader to check in and open the barriers. For more information, check out our page on Checking in and out.
What are the Terms & Conditions?
Click here for the T&Cs for bringing your bike on the train.
Can't find the answer you're looking for here? You can easily find the answers to many questions yourself at the NS Community. However, if you still don't find what you need, feel free to contact our Customer Service department.