Combined Travel Discount with an NS season ticket
If you know someone who has an NS season ticket (with the exception of KidsVrij) or a student travel product, then you can accompany him/her for a 40% discount during off-peak hours. To travel with a discount, you must download the Samenreiskorting combined travel discount to your OV-chipkaart or purchase an e-ticket. Your travel companion must travel with his/her NS season ticket, Keuzedag or student travel product, but does not need to do anything extra.
Travelling together with NS Flex?
Topping up your OV-chipkaart with a Samenreiskorting combined travel discount
The Samenreiskorting combined travel discount is only available at an NS Ticket Machine, the NS Service Desk or another transport company's ticket machine.
- Hold your OV-chipkaart in front of the card reader (with OV-chipkaart logo) at the bottom right of the NS Ticket Machine screen.
- Select 'Samenreiskorting’ (Combined Travel Discount) and the desired class.
- Click on 'Akkoord' and hold the OV-chipkaart in front of the card reader on the NS Ticket Machine again.
- Top up your own OV-chipkaart with enough balance. The minimum amount needed for the Samenreiskorting is € 10.
- Check in during off-peak hours to automatically receive a 40% discount.
Only download the Samenreiskorting to your card on the day you'll be travelling, because it is only valid for 1 day.
Checking in during off-peak hours
Your ticket is only valid if you check in during off-peak hours. The off-peak hours are: Monday to Friday from 09:00 to 16:00, and from 18:30 to 06:30
The Samenreiskorting automatically expires if you transfer to another rail carrier during peak hours.
Would you like to check whether you still have a Samenreiskorting combined travel discount on your OV-chipkaart?Hold the card against the card reader at an NS Ticket Machine and select 'Tonen alle producten op kaart' (Display all products on card).
Deleting the Samenreiskorting combined travel discount from your OV-chipkaart
- Hold your OV-chipkaart against the card reader at the bottom right of the NS Ticket Machine.
- Select 'Tonen alle producten op kaart' (Display all products on card).
- Select 'Samenreiskorting'.
- Select 'Verwijderen' (Delete).
- Hold your OV-chipkaart against the card reader again to complete the transaction.
Good to know
- Always download your product or top up your OV-chipkaart before checking in.
- The Samenreiskorting combined travel discount is valid on NS trains and those of other rail transport companies in the Netherlands.
- The Samenreiskorting expires automatically 35 minutes after checking out. If you check into another train operated by NS within 35 minutes, you will still be able to accompany someone with the Samenreiskorting. When you transfer to another rail carrier company, the system checks again to see if the Samenreiskorting is still applicable.
Samenreiskorting for the return journey
If you will be making a return trip together, then your travel companion must select the option '2 x laden' (load twice) under 'kies aantal' (select number) at the NS Ticket Machine. If you will be continuing your journey alone, then you must remove the combined travel discount from your card at the NS Ticket Machine. The Samenreiskorting expires automatically 35 minutes after you check out.
Samenreiskorting on NS International routes within the Netherlands
You can use the Samenreiskorting for the part of your international journey that is within the Netherlands. This discount is not valid for Thalys and Eurostar.
You can load the Samenreiskorting onto your ticket yourself. Choose the option ‘Samenreiskorting’ when buying your ticket via NS International or at the NS ticket machine. The discount will then be calculated automatically for the section of your journey within the Netherlands.