Combined Travel Discount with an NS season ticket
If you will be travelling together with someone who has an NS season ticket (with the exception of KidsVrij) or a student travel product, then you are eligible for a 40% discount. To travel with a discount, you must download the Samenreiskorting combined travel discount to your OV-chipkaart or purchase an e-ticket. The traveller with the NS season ticket or student travel product does not need to do anything extra.
Topping up your OV-chipkaart with a Samenreiskorting combined travel discount
The Samenreiskorting combined travel discount is only available at an NS Ticket Machine, the NS Service Desk or another transport company's ticket machine.
- Hold the OV-chipkaart in front of the card reader (with OV-chipkaart logo) at the bottom right of the NS Ticket Machine screen.
- Select 'Samenreiskorting’ (Combined Travel Discount) and the desired class.
- Click on 'Akkoord' and hold the OV-chipkaart in front of the card reader on the NS Ticket Machine again.
- Top up the OV-chipkaart with enough balance. The minimum amount needed for the Samenreiskorting is € 10.
- Check in and out during the off-peak hours to travel with a 40% discount.
Checking in during off-peak hours
Your ticket is only valid if you check in during off-peak hours. The off-peak hours are: Monday to Friday before 06:30, between 09:00 - 16:00, and after 18:30, as well as all day on weekends from 18:30 on Friday evening until 06:30 on Monday morning. Please note that the Combined Travel Discount does not apply if you transfer to another rail carrier during peak hours.
Would you like to check whether you still have a Samenreiskorting combined travel discount on your OV-chipkaart?Hold the card against the card reader at an NS Ticket Machine and select 'Tonen alle producten op kaart' (Display all products on card). You must download the Samenreiskorting on the date of travel, because the discount is only valid for 1 day.
Deleting the Samenreiskorting combined travel discount from your OV-chipkaart
- Hold your OV-chipkaart against the card reader at the bottom right of the NS Ticket Machine.
- Select 'Tonen alle producten op kaart' (Display all products on card).
- Select 'Samenreiskorting'.
- Select 'Verwijderen' (Delete).
- Hold your OV-chipkaart against the card reader again to complete the transaction.
- Always download your product or top up your OV-chipkaart before checking in.
- The Samenreiskorting combined travel discount is valid on NS trains and those of other rail transport companies in the Netherlands.
- The Samenreiskorting expires automatically 35 minutes after checking out. If your fellow passenger checks into another train operated by NS or another rail transport company within 35 minutes, he or she will still be able to accompany someone with the Samenreiskorting.
Price of your journey
If you would like to know how much your journey will cost with the 40% Samenreiskorting, go to the NS Travel Planner and enter your route. The full price for this journey will appear above the travel information. Click on 'Alle tarieven' (all rates) to display the price of the journey with the 40% discount.
Samenreiskorting for the return journey
If you will be making a return trip together, select the option '2 x laden' (load twice) under 'kies aantal' (select number) at the NS Ticket Machine. If your travelling companion will be continuing their journey alone, then he or she must remove the combined travel discount from the card at the NS Ticket Machine. The Samenreiskorting expires automatically 35 minutes after you check out.
Samenreiskorting on NS International routes within the Netherlands
You can use the Samenreiskorting for the part of your international journey that is within the Netherlands. This discount is not valid for Thalys.
You can load the Samenreiskorting onto your ticket yourself. Choose the option ‘Samenreiskorting’ when buying your ticket via NS International or at the NS ticket machine. The discount will then be calculated automatically for the section of your journey within the Netherlands.