Temporary ticket and declaration
If you are waiting for a replacement OV-chipkaart with an annual season ticket, you can usually travel with a temporary variant of your season ticket for three weeks. Depending on which season ticket you have, you may be able to request a refund for the costs incurred during this period.
While you are waiting for a new OV-chipkaart, you can download a temporary variant of your season ticket to your personal or anonymous chipkaart. This is called a 'temporary ticket'. This option is not possible for the OV-Jaarabonnement and monthly variants of season tickets. If you download a temporary ticket to an anonymous OV-chipkaart, then it is only valid on NS routes.
Temporary tickets with a Traject Vrij season ticket
If you have a Traject Vrij season ticket on a personal OV-chipkaart, then the temporary ticket is only valid on your chosen route. If you would like to travel on a different route, then you can purchase an e-ticket or a single-use chipkaart.
Ordering a temporary ticket
You can order a temporary ticket from NS Customer Service. After you order, you can collect the card at an NS Ticket Machine or OV-chipkaart service desk. See the address finder for a collection point near you.
Temporary ticket terms and conditions
- The terms and conditions for your season ticket also apply to the temporary ticket.
- To use the ticket, simply check in and out as usual, except if you are using a Grensabonnement.
- You cannot use a temporary ticket with other transportation companies when it is loaded onto an anonymous OV-chipkaart.
- You may not sell your temporary ticket to another person or allow another person to use it to travel.
- A temporary ticket is valid for 3 weeks for the owner of the season ticket. The validation period begins as soon as the product is available at the Ticket Machine.
- You may only request a refund for delays if your temporary ticket has been downloaded to a personal OV-chipkaart.
- You may only request a temporary ticket if you already have an annual season ticket.
- You may not request a temporary ticket if you have an OV-jaarabonnement.
If your card is defective or damaged
Please have it checked at the NS Service Desk. The service desk assistant will be able to tell you what you must do in order to be able to travel again. You can declare the costs of the NS tickets that you purchase while waiting for your replacement card.
Declaring travel costs while waiting for a replacement card
Declaring travel costs
For almost all season tickets, you can declare the costs of traveling with a temporary ticket starting from 3 working days after you have requested a replacement card. For the Voordeeluren season ticket, you can begin declaring travel costs after 10 working days. This option does not apply to a defective anonymous OV-chipkaart.
Declaring travel costs with an NS-Business Card
While you are waiting for a replacement for your NS-Business Card with a Traject Vrij, Trein Vrij or OV Vrij season ticket, you can request a refund for all travel costs that would normally be covered by your season ticket, up to a maximum of 14 days. The refund request must be submitted no later than 90 days after the date of travel. You can request a refund by sending the tickets for the journeys to NS.
Send the used tickets with reference to 'refund request' to: NS Zakelijk Customer Service, Postbus 2372, 3500 GJ Utrecht. Clearly state your name, account number, NS-Business Card number and the reason for the refund request.