Purchase a ticket online
If you make the occasional journey by train, and buy your ticket from the ticket machine or the service desk, then you could be doing it faster and cheaper! Simply arrange everything via the NS app: order tickets, pay via the app, and the e-ticket will automatically download to your smartphone. You don't need to print anything.
What are the benefits?
- No € 1 surcharge for your train ticket
- No waiting in the queue at the service desk or ticket machine
- Get moving right away!
What are e-tickets?
E-tickets are train tickets that you download to your smartphone. You can then use your phone to open the gates and show the ticket to the conductor.
What do you need to use an e-ticket?
- A smartphone with Android of Apple iOS;
- The NS app. Download the app via the App Store or Google Play Store. If you do not see the heading 'My tickets' in the menu, then you should download the latest version of the app.
The NS app Terms and Conditions apply to the use of the NS app.
How does it work?
- Purchase your ticket online or via the NS-app;
- After you pay for the ticket, you will receive an e-mail; open this mail using your smartphone;
- You will now see a page with an overview of your order, with two options for collecting your e-tickets:
- Download and print: bring your printed ticket along on your journey, OR
- Download to the NS-app: the app will open automatically. You can find your e-ticket under the heading 'My tickets'.
Travelling with your e-ticket
If you travel to or from a station with access gates, then you can open the gates using the e-ticket. You can recognise gates equipped with barcode scanners by the 'scan ticket' symbol on the right-hand door of the gate, and by the illuminated surface on the right hand side of the gate.
- Open your e-ticket in the NS app. Make sure that the QR code is visible.
- Choose a gate with a barcode reader.
- Hold the screen of your mobile phone in front of the round glass window.
What are the rules?
- You are responsible for showing a valid ticket when you travel. So always make sure that your smartphone is fully charged before you board the train;
- The e-ticket is issued to an individual name, and is only valid in combination with a valid proof of identification;
- You are entitled to Refund for delays when you use an e-ticket;
- The Terms and Conditions for travelling with an e-ticket apply when you travel with an e-ticket.