Travelling with your smartphone
If you make the occasional journey by train, and buy your ticket from the ticket machine or the service desk, then you could be doing it more conveniently and cheaper! Simply purchase your e-ticket online or via the NS app and open the e-ticket on your smartphone. You don't need to print anything.
What are the benefits?
- No € 1 surcharge for your train ticket
- No waiting in the queue at the service desk or ticket machine
- Get moving right away!
How does it work?
- Order your online or in the NS App.
- After payment, you will receive an e-mail with a link to collect your tickets. Open the mail on your mobile phone.
- You will now see an overview page for your order, with two options for collecting your e-tickets:
- Download and print
- Download to the NS App on your smartphone
Downloading to the NS App on your smartphone
When you select Download to the NS App on your smartphone, the app will open automatically. You can find your e-ticket under the heading 'My tickets'. If you do not yet have the NS app, you can download it via the App Store or Google Play Store. The NS App Terms and Conditions apply to the use of the NS App.
Travelling with an e-ticket
When you open your ticket, you will see a large square QR code. You can use this to open access gates and to show the conductor your ticket.
If you travel to or from a station with access gates, then you can open the gates using the e-ticket. You can recognise gates equipped with barcode scanners by the 'scan ticket' symbol on the right hand door of the gate, and by the illuminated surface on the right hand side of the gate.
- Open your e-ticket in the NS app. Make sure that the QR code is visible.
- Choose a gate with a barcode reader.
- Hold the screen of your mobile phone in front of the barcode reader.
What are the rules?
- An e-ticket is only valid when it is downloaded to the NS app or to your smartphone.
- You are responsible for showing a valid ticket. Therefore, you must make sure that you have a sufficiently charged, properly working smartphone.
- The e-ticket is personal. Just like a printed e-ticket, a mobile phone ticket is only valid in combination with a valid proof of identity.
- The Conditions for travelling with an e-ticket apply to travel with a mobile phone ticket.
- When travelling with an e-ticket, you are still eligible for refunds for delays.