International travel with a disability
You can travel aboard an international train with a disability, although the conditions differ per carrier. Read all about international travel with a disability on this page.
Booking an international journey while travelling with a disability
If you travel with a wheelchair or mobility scooter, then you cannot book an international journey online. International journeys can be booked via the NS International Service Center at tel.: 030 - 2300023 or at an NS International desk in the Service Shop.
Assistance during an international journey
If you need assistance boarding and exiting the train, we would be happy to help. Simply book your journey via NS International. You can then request the assistance you need no later than 24 hours (36 hours for Germany) before your departure time by calling 030-235 78 22 (7 days per week, 24 hours per day). We recommend that you reserve assistance immediately after booking, and that you keep your reservation information on hand during the conversation.
If you have a hearing impairment, you can request assistance by sending a message via WhatsApp to 0031 302300023. Or you can submit a request via one of our social media channels.
It takes more time to arrange assistance abroad, so we recommend you do so no later than 1 week before departure.
Travelling with a companion
The OV-Begeleiderskaart, is valid both in the Netherlands and abroad. Depending on the country in which you are travelling, the card may entitle you to a free ticket for your travel companion. See the overview below for the services available to passengers travelling with a disability.
- Aboard the Intercity Brussels, the wheelchair seats are almost always located in the middle of the train.
- Companions of travellers with an OV-begeleiderskaart can travel for free on the Dutch section of the Intercity Brussels. They may also travel for free on the Belgian section if they have a valid ticket. These tickets are available from the Ticket & Service shops at the stations.
- In order to fit aboard the train, in the lifts and over the mobile bridges, a wheelchair may not be larger than 150 x 85 cm (exterior dimensions).
- You and your wheelchair may not weigh more than a combined 250 kilogrammes.
- If you would like assistance boarding and exiting the train, you can request it by calling 030-235 78 22 (between 07:00 – 23:00)
- There is 1 designated seat in Premium available for travellers with a wheelchair. A wheelchair passenger may bring along 1 companion for the same special price. Travellers in 1st class may reserve a meal or a snack in advance. The travel companion must have a 'begeleiderskaart' when accompanying a traveller with a disability.
- For safety purposes, wheelchairs may not exceed 75 x 125 cm, have a turning radius of less than 150 cm, and a maximum weight of 300 kg. Only manual or electric wheelchairs are permitted on board the Thalys.
- There is no special discount rate for visually impaired passengers. Service dogs may accompany a passenger at no extra charge.
ICE International and Intercity Berlin
The ICE International is equipped with 2 wheelchair seats, and the IC Berlin has 4 wheelchair seats in 2nd class near the wheelchair accessible lavatory. Wheelchair seats also always have a seat reserved specifically for a travel companion. Wheelchairs may not exceed 125 cm in length and 70 cm in width, including space for the occupant's feet. If you have any questions, please call tel.: 030-235 78 22 (available 24 hours per day, 7 days per week).
The Eurostar train has 2 seats reserved for wheelchair passengers in 1st class. A wheelchair passenger may bring along 1 companion for the same special price. Travellers with a mobility scooter may have it transported aboard the Eurostar in one of the special luggage compartments for no extra charge.
- The mobility scooter and/or wheelchair may not exceed 100 x 70 cm.
- Mobility scooters with flammable fuels are not permitted aboard the train.
- When travelling with a mobility scooter, please inform EuroDespatch (in English) by calling tel.: 0044 344 822 5 822 (available every day from 08:00 - 22:00).
- There is no special discount rate for visually impaired passengers, but special rates apply for travel companions (max. 1).
Service dogs or guide dogs may travel for free, but they must be registered with Eurostar in advance, and they must meet the conditions stipulated by Eurostar. For more information, please call +32 2 400 67 31 between 09:00 and 17:00. If you do not speak English, please call +44 3432 186 186. At the moment, service dogs and guide dogs are only permitted on the Eurostar route Brussel Zuid-London.
The wheelchair seat aboard TGV trains is accessible to both collapsible and non-collapsible (electric) wheelchairs and mobility scooters with maximum dimensions of 120 x 70 cm