The OV-chipkaart is a card you can use to travel on every mode of public transport in the Netherlands. You must top up the balance on your card in order to travel. If you have an NS-Business Card, then you do not need to top up the balance, because there will be billed afterwards instead. You do need to check in and out when you travel.
Which OV-chipkaart options are there, and where can you purchase one?
- You can choose between a personal or anonymous OV-chipkaart, both of which cost € 7.50. If you sign up for a 1-year NS season ticket, you'll receive a free personal OV-chipkaart (except for Flex Basis and Flex Weekend Voordeel).
- You can also opt for a single-use chipkaart, which is a paper ticket with a chip.
- The anonymous OV-chipkaart and single-use chipkaart can be bought at the NS-ticket machine.
- The personal OV-chipkaart can only be purchased online via www.ov-chipkaart.nl; they cannot be bought from NS directly. This website also provides information about the status of your order.
Characteristics of the personal OV-chipkaart
- Issued to a specific person.
- Balance is blocked within 24 hours of reporting theft or loss of the card.
- Remaining balance refunded upon theft or loss of the card.
- Automatic top-up available.
- Suitable for all NS and other public transport season tickets.
- Receive the card within 7 work days after applying.
- One-time cost of € 7,50 (free with an NS annual season ticket, except for Flex Basis and Flex Weekend Voordeel).
Characteristics of the anonymous OV-chipkaart
- Not issued to a specific person.
- Cannot be blocked after theft or loss.
- View your NS travel records via Mijn NS.
- Available at NS Ticket Machines with OV-chipkaart logo or other sales locations.
- One-time cost of € 7.50.
Characteristics of the single-use chipkaart
- Paper ticket that contains an electronic chip.
- Available at NS Ticket Machines, NS Tickets & Service shop and OV-service Tickets Shop.
- Valid on all rail carriers
- No need to top up your balance; simply check in and out.
- For most products you pay the full rate + a supplement of € 1 per single-use chipkaart.
- No supplement required for the Railrunner, Fietskaart Dal, ICE supplement one-way, Euregioticket and Intercity direct supplements.
- Only valid for the date of purchase, unless you are travelling to Germany, Belgium or Luxembourg.