Topping up the balance on your OV-chipkaart
If you would like to top up the balance on your OV-chipkaart quickly and conveniently, you can request 'Automatic top-up' online. You can also choose to top up your balance at an NS Ticket Machine or Service Desk. With NS Flex, you never have to top up your balance again.
Never top up your balance again! Carefree travel with NS Flex
Automatic balance top-up, for the most convenience
If you always want enough balance on your OV-chipkaart, you can request 'Automatic top-up' via www.ov-chipkaart.nl. After that, you only need to activate 'Automatic top-up' at a ticket machine at an NS station or the charging point at shops such as AH-to-Go and Kiosk.
Good to know
- You can choose to top up your balance with amounts of € 10, € 20 or € 50.
- Automatic top-up is only available if you have a personal OV-chipkaart (a card with a passport photo).
When your balance falls below € 0 while checking in or out, the chosen amount will immediately be added to the balance on your OV-chipkaart. This amount will then be debited from your bank account. The only thing you need to do is check in and out.
Topping up your balance at an NS Ticket Machine
Would you prefer topping up your OV-chipkaart balance manually? You can do so at an NS ticket machine.
- Scan your OV-chipkaart at an NS ticket machine.
- Select 'Top up balance'.
- Select 'Add balance'.
- Select the amount that you would like to add to your OV-chipkaart. The machine will show you all amounts available for your card.
Good to know
- You can top up the balance of an anonymous and a personal OV-chipkaart.
- You can pay with your debit card, credit card, and coins.
Topping up your balance at the desk
Would you prefer to have an NS employee top up your OV-chipkaart balance? In that case, you can ask the service assistant at any NS service desk at the station to help you for an additional € 0.50 service charge.
Good to know
- This additional charge does not apply to wheelchair users, travellers over 75 years of age, or visually impaired travellers.
Minimum balance on your OV-chipkaart
In order to travel with NS, you must have at least € 20 on your OV-chipkaart balance. If you have an NS season ticket, then other minimum amounts apply:
- For an OV-chipkaart with Dal Vrij, Weekend Vrij, Dal Voordeel, Altijd Voordeel or Voordeelurenabonnement, the minimum balance is € 10.
- For Weekend Vrij, you are only charged if you travel on weekdays outside of the free period.
- For Dal Vrij, you are only charged if you travel during peak hours.
- No check-in fee is charged if you have an Altijd Vrij or Traject Vrij season ticket.
- With an NS-Business Card, you travel on account, so there is no minimum balance requirement.