House rules at the station and in the trains
NS enforces certain house rules in and around the stations to ensure your safety and that of your fellow travellers. Read here which rules apply at the station and aboard the train.
NS House Rules
Certain house rules apply at all NS stations and aboard the train. You are required to follow these house rules. The house rules are posted at the stations and in the trains on stickers, posters and other communications, such as information provided by NS personnel.
In addition to these house rules, you are required to comply with the following rules at all times:
- You are not allowed to board the train once the conductor has blown the departure whistle. This is for your own safety and that of your fellow travellers. This is because the doors to the train must close before the scheduled departure time. The signal tone therefore does not indicate the train's departure, but rather the closing of the doors (in some train types).
- You are required to be able to provide proof of valid identification in the stations and aboard the trains, for example when using an age-specific or personal ticket or if you violate a (house)rule, condition or law.
- Smoking is prohibited at the stations and in the train. This smoking bank also applies to the use of electronic cigarettes and similar devices.
- While you are at the stations and in the train, you are required to act in a manner that does not disturb the public order, calm setting, safety or operations.
- You may not abuse the emergency brake switch in the train, the emergency button at the gates or the SOS button on the service and alarm post or any similar facilities. If you do, then NS may impose a fine of € 125 per incident that is payable on the spot. You will also be required to compensate NS for any and all damages resulting from your actions.
- You may not make any photographic, video or audio recordings of NS personnel without the express prior permission of NS.
House rules in the train
Rules that apply at the station and in the train during the coronavirus pandemic.
During the coronavirus pandemic, certain additional rules will apply at stations and in the train. Face masks must be worn in the train. Face masks must also be worn in the stations and on the platforms as of 1 December 2020. Keep 1.5 meters distance from other travellers. Only travel if you do not have symptoms of a coronavirus infection.
See also the following pages for more information:
Smoking is prohibited at the stations, station halls, stairways, lifts, tunnels, platforms and in the train. As of 1 October 2020, all stations are entirely non-smoking. This smoking ban includes the use of electronic cigarettes and other similar devices.