Cancelling season tickets
There are several ways to cancel your NS season ticket. The fastest way is via a direct message on Twitter or Facebook. In order to confirm your cancellation, you must delete the season ticket from your OV-chipkaart yourself. The NS-Business Card can only be cancelled online.
When can you cancel your season ticket?
- You can cancel your automatically renewable NS season ticket (main season ticket or supplemental season ticket) with one month's notice after the first year.
- You may not cancel your monthly season ticket before the end of the month.
The cancellation will go into effect on the same day of the month that your season ticket went into effect.
There are several ways to cancel your NS season ticket, such as:
- a direct message on Twitter
- a direct message via Facebook
- Chat (Monday-Friday from 08:00-21:00, Saturday fro 09:00-17:00, closed on Sunday)
- by telephone: + 31 30 751 51 55 (24 hours per day, 7 days per week)
You can only cancel the NS-Business Card online.
Unfortunately, you cannot have another person cancel your season ticket on your behalf. You can only cancel your own season ticket if you are the person on the contract.
Confirming your cancellation
- Once you have informed NS that you would like to cancel your season ticket, we will send you a confirmation via e-mail.
- In order to confirm your cancellation, you must delete your season ticket from your OV-chipkaart (deactivation). Instructions on how to delete your season ticket from your OV-chipkaart are provided in the e-mail, along with the deadline for cancellation. You can confirm your cancellation at any OV-chipkaart top-up point or the Tickets & Service desk at major stations.
- Your cancellation will only be definitive once you delete your season ticket from your OV-chipkaart. If you have paid for your season ticket in advance, we will automatically refund the amount remaining on your account.
Your OV-chipkaart after cancellation
Once you have cancelled your NS season ticket and deleted it from your OV-chipkaart, you can continue to use the OV-chipkaart to travel on balance with NS or other public transport carriers for as long as the card is valid. If you switch to another NS season ticket, then you can easily activate it on your OV-chipkaart.
Switching season tickets
If you would like to switch to a more expensive season ticket, you can do so at any time, even during the first year of the contract. You can transfer to a less expensive season ticket after the end of the first year. In order to use your new season ticket, you must activate the change at a ticket machine before the change deadline.
Cancellation at the end of the contract
When the new contract year for your current season ticket approaches, we will send you a notification at least 7 weeks prior to the end of the contract year. You may choose to cancel your season ticket at that time.
Cancelling a season ticket after the death of the cardholder
When a cardholder passes away, it is possible to cancel his or her season ticket by contacting NS Customer Service. We are standing by day and night to help you cancel the season ticket or another NS product and to refund any amount remaining on the person's account.