Temporarily pausing or cancelling your subscription
By opting for a flexible subscription through NS Flex, you can easily pause your subscription during the period that the adjusted timetable is in effect due to the coronavirus outbreak by switching to NS Flex Zonder Abonnement. This means you won't pay any subscription costs, but you can still travel if absolutely necessary. People who already have an NS Flex subscription can also switch over temporarily to NS Flex Basic. You can find information on this page about how to pause or cancel your subscription.
Travelling less due to the coronavirus outbreak
Are you travelling less frequently or not at all due to the current circumstances? If so, we recommend that you adjust your subscription or switch to NS Flex Zonder Abonnement. By doing so, you won't have to pay any subscription costs, but you can still travel by public transport if necessary (without a discount).
As soon as we return to our normal timetable, you can easily switch back from NS Flex Zonder Abonnement to an NS Flex subscription, via Mijn NS. You'll then be able to travel with the discount you've been accustomed to, and you won't run up any unnecessary expenses. You can switch to NS Flex in Mijn NS.
If you're travelling with an NS-Business Card, you can also temporarily stop your subscription.
You can temporarily pause your NS Flex subscription by changing your current subscription to NS Flex Zonder Abonnement. By doing so, you won't have to pay any subscription costs, effective immediately.
Unfortunately, subscriptions with a balance cannot be paused.
If you have an NS-Business Card, you can temporarily pause your subscription in Mijn NS Zakelijk.
If you're considering switching from a subscription with a balance to an NS Flex subscription, remember that you won't be able to switch back to a subscription with a balance anymore. NS will soon stop selling these subscriptions, as well as the following supplemental subscriptions: OV Voordeel and IC-Direct Altijd Toeslagvrij. For personal advice, please contact our customer service department.
Would you like to cancel a subscription?
You can cancel your subscription at the following times:
- Your subscription with balance (main or optional additional subscription) can be cancelled on a monthly basis after the first year. If you want to switch to NS Flex or a more expensive subscription with balance, you can do so within the first year of the subscription.
- If you have a subscription with balance, then around 7 weeks before the end date of each subscription year, we will send you a message about the start of the new year. You can then choose whether to cancel your subscription.
- An Annual Bicycle Storage subscription can be cancelled after the first month.
The termination takes effect on the same day of the month on which your subscription commenced.
Cancelling a subscription for someone else
You can only terminate your own subscription if you are also the contract holder, e.g. a subscription for your child.
Cancelling a subscription after the death of the cardholder
Upon the death of a cardholder, the subscription can always be cancelled. In the event that this occurs, please contact NS Customer Service. We are available at all times and will help you to cancel the subscription or other NS product, and may refund some of the subscription fee.
How to cancel a subscription
Most NS subscriptions can be cancelled via NS Customer Service in the following ways:
- private message on Twitter
- private message on Facebook
- chat (every day from 07:00 - 23:00)
- by telephone (every day from 07:00 - 23:00)
Sending a private message on Twitter or Facebook is often the fastest method.
You can cancel the NS-Business Card via Mijn NS Zakelijk.
Another couple of important things and then you're done
After indicating to NS that you wish to stop your subscription, you will receive a confirmation e-mail. This contains instructions on how to finalise the cancellation of your subscription:
- Remove your subscription from your OV-chipkaart. You can do this at any OV-chipkaart charging point or at the Tickets & Service desk at the larger stations.
- The confirmation e-mail also contains the final date by which you need to remove the subscription from your OV-chipkaart.
- The cancellation will only be final once you have removed the subscription, after which you will no longer pay for the subscription.
- If you paid for your subscription in advance, we will automatically refund the overpaid amount.
If you decided to switch your NS Flex subscription to an NS Flex Zonder Abonnement subscription (€ 0 a month), you don't have to do anything. You'll be switched to your new subscription straight away.
Your OV-chipkaart after cancellation
After removing your NS subscription from your OV-chipkaart, you can continue to use the card for travelling on the basis of a card balance with the NS or other carriers, as long as your OV-chipkaart is still valid. If you switch to another NS subscription, you can easily add this new subscription to your OV-chipkaart.