Uploading a passport photo
To make your OV-chipkaart, we need a digital passport photo of you. Read more below about how to submit a digital photo and the requirements that the photo must meet. Please note: you will only upload the passport photo during the order process.
When uploading a passport photo, please consider the following:
- You must be recognisable in the photo.
- Use a recent photo.
- Your face and both eyes must be visible from the front, even when wearing a head covering. Glasses with dark lenses are only permitted with proof of medical necessity.
- The photo must be sharp and feature sufficient contrast. It can be either in colour or black-and-white.
Please note: if the photo does not sufficiently resemble you, then the conductor may determine that you are travelling without a valid ticket, and may confiscate the OV-chipkaart and issue a fine. If you cannot pay the fine in cash at that moment, the conductor may grant you deferred payment.
Which photos are valid?
- A photo of your paper passport photo, taken with your mobile telephone.
- A self-portrait taken with your mobile telephone, tablet, or webcam.
- A scanned paper photo.
- A cut-out from a larger photo. You can also crop digital photos during the upload process.
Format and file type
- We recommend a file size of at least 150 kB, with a maximum of 5 MB.
- The maximum dimensions are 768 x 1024 pixels. When scanning a passport photo we recommend setting a resolution of 300 pixels/inch.
- The file format must be .jpeg, .png or .bmp.
Problems uploading your passport photo?
If you cannot upload your photo, then it is probably because the file is too large. Try reducing the file size and upload the new file./p>
If you cannot upload a passport photo, then NS Customer Service would be happy to assist you.