How the OV-fiets works
In order to rent an OV-fiets, you require a personal OV-chipkaart. You can load a free OV-fiets season ticket onto your card. We charge € 0.01 each year to verify your personal details and payment information.
It costs € 3.85 to rent an OV-fiets. If you keep the OV-fiets for more than 24 hours, you will be charged for an extra rental period (up to 72 hours). After 72 hours, you will incur an additional charge of € 5 per 24-hour period.
You can rent an OV-fiets from almost 300 locations throughout the Netherlands. Simply go to one of the following facilities:
- a manned bicycle storage facility,
- an OV-fietspunt,
- an OV-fiets locker,
- a bicycle carousel,
- a fietsbox,
- a self-service storage facility.
You can find the nearest rental location and the opening hours in the NS-app or at ov-fiets.nl/huurlocaties.
Returning an OV-fiets to a different location
If you would like to return your OV-fiets to a different location than where you rented it, you can do so for an additional fee of € 10.
Adjusting your OV-fiets
We recommend checking the tyre pressure and the lights prior to departure. You can pump up the tyres at the storage area. You can raise or lower the saddle on the OV-fiets using the quick-release lever. You do not need any tools to do this.
All OV-fietsen are fitted with puncture-proof tyres. As a result, the chance that you will get a puncture is reduced considerably. If this happens anyway, bring the OV-fiets back to the bicycle storage area where you rented it and it will be repaired for free. If you have the puncture repaired by a different bicycle mechanic, then the costs will not be reimbursed.
What to do with a broken or damaged OV-fiets?
- Report the damage to us. You can do so in the manned storage facility or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. When reporting damage to us, please make sure to specify the bike number, which is indicated on the fender.
- If you rented the OV-fiets from a self-service rental location, you can report any damage in the access and payment system when you return the bike.
- If the damage to the OV-fiets was caused by reckless use, you will be charged for the damage.
- Flat tire? Return the OV-fiets to the storage facility. The tire will be fixed or replaced free of charge. If you have your bike repaired elsewhere, we will not reimburse your expenses.
What to do when your OV-fiets or key is lost or stolen
You can read what to do when when your bicycle or key are lost or stolen at OV-fiets(key) lost or stolen.