How the OV-fiets works
You need a personal OV-chipkaart to be able to rent and use an OV-fiets. You can add the OV-fiets service to your personal OV-chipkaart free of charge, and you can immediately rent and use an OV-fiets. Renting an OV-fiets costs €3,95 each time, for up to 24 hours.
- Arrange the OV-fiets service (free of charge) online (available for personal OV-chipkaart holders)*
- On arriving at the rental location, you can use your OV-chipkaart to hire an OV-fiets
- Simply set the bicycle saddle to the correct height and ride away
- Return the OV-fiets to the same location from which you hired it
- You will receive a monthly overview of your rides and the associated costs
* If you have an NS Flex season ticket, you do not need to register for the OV-fiets service. You can hire an OV-fiets immediately using your OV-chipkaart.
Renting an OV-fiets costs €3.95 each time, for up to 24 hours. If you keep the OV-fiets for more than 24 hours, you will be charged for an extra rental period (up to 72 hours). After 72 hours, you will incur an additional charge of € 5 per 24-hour period.
You can rent an OV-fiets from almost 300 locations throughout the Netherlands. Simply go to one of the following facilities:
- a staffed bicycle storage facility,
- an OV-fietspunt,
- an OV-fiets locker,
- a bicycle carousel,
- a fietsbox,
- a self-service storage facility.
View the various rental locations here. You can also find out the number of available bicycles and the opening hours.
Returning an OV-fiets to a different location
If you would like to return your OV-fiets to a different location than where you rented it, you can do so for an additional fee of € 10.
Adjusting an OV-fiets
We recommend checking the tyre pressure and the lights prior to departure. You can pump up the tyres at the storage area. You can raise or lower the saddle on the OV-fiets using the quick-release lever. You do not need any tools to do this.
All OV-fietsen are fitted with puncture-proof tyres. As a result, the chance that you will get a puncture is reduced considerably. If this happens anyway, bring the OV-fiets back to the bicycle storage area where you rented it and it will be repaired for free. If you have the puncture repaired by a different bicycle mechanic, then you must pay for this yourself.
What to do with a broken or damaged OV-fiets?
Report the damage to us. You can do so at the staffed storage facility itself or by sending an e-mail to us at firstname.lastname@example.org. When reporting damage to us, please make sure to specify the bike number, which is indicated on the fender.
What to do when your OV-fiets or key is lost or stolen
You can read what to do when when your bicycle or key are lost or stolen at OV-fiets(key) lost or stolen.