When can you travel with a discount?
If you have an NS season ticket, then you can travel with a discount or for free depending on the time at which you travel and the type of season ticket you have.
The off-peak hours are on weekdays from 00:00 - 06:30, between 09:00 - 16:00 and between 18:30 - 00:00 the next morning, plus all day at weekends and on public holidays. The moment you check in determines the discount you will receive for the entire journey.
Discount travel during off-peak hours
- Dal Vrij: free travel with NS during off-peak hours
- Weekend Vrij: free travel at the weekend, and 40% discount during other off-peak hours
- Dal Voordeel: 40% discount with NS during off-peak hours
Discount travel during peak and off-peak hours
- Altijd Vrij: always travel for free with NS
- Altijd Voordeel: 20% discount during peak hours, and 40% discount during off-peak hours
- Kids Vrij: children aged 4 to 11 can accompany you for free, anywhere, anytime, with their own OV-chipkaart.
Using an e-ticket for your trip?
In that case the time when you check in is not decisive. If the e-ticket is only valid during off-peak hours, you are only permitted to be on the train during those hours. So for example you can't start your trip at 15.55 uur and stay on the train during peak hours.
Do you still have a Voordeelurenabonnement? In that case you can travel with a 40% discount at the following times. At other times you pay the normal rate.
- From Monday to Friday before 06:30 and after 09:00
- All day during weekends
- All day throughout July and August
- On a number of public holidays you can enjoy a discount on your trip before 09:00
The Voordeelurenabonnement is no longer available.
Please note: The product terms and conditions for the Voordeelurenabonnement are being amended as of 1 January 2021. As of that date, you will get a 40% discount on your trip during off-peak hours (see above).