Day ticket for dogs or bicycles
A ticket for taking your bicycle or your pet with you on the train
- Take your bicycle with you for € 6,10 off peak, at weekends and on public holidays and in July and August
- Take your dog with you on the train for € 3,10
- You can't take bicycles with you on the Intercity direct
- You must put your bicycle in the space indicated by a sticker on the train
- Take your luggage off your bicycle
- You must keep an eye on your bicycle when travelling by train
- Taking your dog with you? Small pets may be taken free of charge in a bag or cage. A guide dog that is clearly recognisable as such (including ones that are being trained) can also travel free of charge, as long as it has a harness, coat or brace with the logo of a guide dog organisation. In that case, you do not need a Dagkaart hond (a one-day dog ticket).
- You can take your folding bicycle with you free as hand luggage if you fold it up
- You can not take a bicycle if there is no special space for it
- Peak times do not apply at weekends, on public holidays and in July and August
- A bicycle day ticket always costs € 6* for any journey
- You can also take folding tandems, reclining bicycles or dismantled racing bicycles with you on a bicycle day ticket
- You can not take your dog with you on Intercity direct
- A Dog day ticket always costs € 3** for any journey
- You can take small pets with you for free in a container or on your lap
- You can take one dog free with an OV-Jaarabonnement
- NS has rules (in Dutch) for taking bicycles or dogs on trains
** € 3,10 in 2016
All products are subject to terms and conditions.
Download the product terms and conditions for single and return tickets (PDF, 563 kB in Dutch)
Putting a day ticket on your OV-chipkaart
You can put your bicycle or dog day ticket on your OV-chipkaart and pay for your train journey easily by checking in and out. If you do not have a season ticket on your OV-chipkaart, you need a minimum starting fare of € 20; but if you have a season ticket, you only need a starting fare of € 10. Your Dog day ticket is only valid with NS in that case.
Single-use smart card
You can buy a bicycle or dog day ticket as a single-use smart card without a supplement at:
- NS ticket machines;
- NS service counters;
- all other NS outlets;
- most machines at other operators' stations.
Your Dog day ticket with a single-use smart card is valid with all operators. Your Bicycle day ticket is subject to other prices, terms and conditions with other domestic operators.
If you have not got an OV-chipkaart (public transport smart card) yet, or your card is about to run out in the next 8 weeks, then you can order a personal or anonymous OV-chipkaart for € 7,50. Your OV-chipkaart will then be delivered to your home within 7 working days. You can also buy an anonymous OV-chipkaart from any NS ticket machine or service counter.
Order an OV-chipkaart (in Dutch)
Checking in and out
Hold your card up to the free-standing post or gate to check in for your train journey; then repeat the process to check out when you reach your destination. You need to check in and out with each operator, i.e. if you change to bus, tram or metro. You should check out at an NS card reader before checking in with another operator.
I have a modified bicycle. Can I take this on the train?
If you have a modified bicycle issued under the WMO (Dutch Social Support Act), such as a tricycle, you can take it with you free, just like a wheelchair. You do not need a special permit any more. Your bicycle must not be more than 150 cm long and 75 cm wide (overall size).
Does a day ticket cost more if I go on a long journey by train and take a bicycle with me?
No, a Bicycle day ticket always costs the same, € 6. It does not matter how far you are going.
Can I take my folding bicycle on Intercity direct too?
Yes, if it is not more than 120 cm long and 90 cm wide when folded up.