One whole day's unlimited travel on trains
- One whole day is unlimited travel on NS trains
- Available for 1st and 2nd class from NS ticket machines
- If you do not have an OV-chipkaart, use a single-use smart card or e-ticket
- You can put a Day ticket on your personal or anonymous OV-chipkaart
- Valid for the date you want to travel
- Valid only on NS trains, not on those of other operators
- You still need to check in and out with your OV-chipkaart (public transport smart card)
- A Day ticket costs € 52,60 (2nd class) or € 89,40 (1st class)
- You can combine a Day ticket with a Dal Voordeel, Dal Vrij, Altijd Voordeel, Weekend Vrij or Voordeelurenabonnement on your OV-chipkaart. If you put a Day ticket on your OV-chipkaart, you will travel on the Day ticket the first time you check in again and not on your season ticket.
All products are subject to terms and conditions.
General terms and conditions for the carriage of Passengers and hand luggage of Nederlandse Spoorwegen (PDF, 231 kB in Dutch)
How does it work?
You can load the bicycle ticket onto an OV-chipkaart (public transport smartcard) or you can buy a single-use smartcard.
Loading a bicycle ticket onto an OV-chipkaart
You can simply load a bicycle ticket onto your OV-chipkaart at an NS ticket machine and pay for your train journey by checking in and out. If you have a season ticket on your OV-chipkaart, then € 10 is sufficient as the boarding fare. Without a season ticket, you need € 20.
If you do not have an OV-chipkaart or if the card will run out in less than 8 weeks, you can order a personalised or anonymous OV-chipkaart for €7.50. You will receive the OV-chipkaart at your home address within 7 working days. An anonymous OV-chipkaart can also be purchased from an NS ticket machine or NS service desk.
Loading a bicycle ticket onto an NS-Business Card
You pay the cost of the ticket yourself directly at an NS ticket machine or NS service desk; the cost is not invoiced to your employer. Your bicycle ticket is in this case only valid with NS.
A bicycle ticket can be bought as a single-use smartcard without a supplement at:
- NS ticket machines
- NS service desks
- All other NS sales outlets
- Most ticket machines at other carriers' stations
Printing or downloading as a mobile ticket
This e-ticket is available as a mobile ticket. After completing your order, you can choose to download your e-ticket and print it, or to load the e-ticket into the Journey Planner Xtra app. This app is available for smartphones with Android 4.0 or Apple iOS 8 or later.
> All about travelling with mobile tickets
The rules in brief
- A mobile ticket is only valid if it has been loaded into the NS Journey Planner Xtra app.
- You are responsible for being able to produce a valid transport ticket. You must therefore ensure that the smartphone is sufficiently charged and working properly.
- The mobile ticket is non-transferable. Just like a printed e-ticket, a mobile ticket is therefore only valid when combined with a valid proof of identity.
- The Terms and conditions for travelling with an e-ticket apply to journeys with a mobile ticket.
Proof of identity
An NS e-ticket is non-transferable. It is therefore only valid when combined with a valid proof of identity. So don't forget to take your passport or ID card with you on the journey.
Travelling with an e-ticket
The access gates are normally closed at more and more NS stations now. If you are travelling on an e-ticket, you can use the square barcode on the e-ticket to open the gates.
How can you tell which gates have a barcode reader?
Not all gates can be opened with an e-ticket. You have to use an access gate with a barcode reader. You can tell which they are by the ‘scan ticket’ symbol on the right-hand door of the gate, and by the illuminated surface to the right of the gate.
Step by step: this is how to open an access gate with your e-ticket
Step 1: Go to a gate with the ‘scan ticket’ symbol.
Step 2: Hold the barcode up against the illuminated surface on your right.
Step 3: The gate opens and you can then enter or exit the station.
Do I still need to check in and out with a Day return on my OV-chipkaart?
Yes, you must always check in and out with a Day return on a single-use smart card.
You need to do this to be eligible for a refund if you are delayed. Unless you check in and out as you should, you will not be eligible for a refund if you are delayed.
What domestic tickets are valid with/available from NS?
The table below shows all the tickets NS sells and/or are valid on NS trains (NS Passengers), and also what other operators accept them on their trains.
Available tickets with NS (PDF, 32,8 kB)
What international tickets are valid with/available from NS to travel on the Dutch section?
The table below shows all domestic tickets which NS sells and/or are valid on NS trains, plus on what other trains and by what foreign operators they are accepted.
Table of domestic tickets available with NS (PDF, 48 kB)