One whole day's unlimited travel on trains
- One whole day is unlimited travel on NS trains
- Available for 1st and 2nd class from NS ticket machines
- If you do not have an OV-chipkaart, use a single-use smart card or e-ticket
- You can put a Day ticket on your personal or anonymous OV-chipkaart
- Valid for the date you want to travel
- Valid only on NS trains, not on those of other operators
- You still need to check in and out with your OV-chipkaart (public transport smart card)
- A Day ticket costs € 52,60 (2nd class) or € 89,40 (1st class)
- You can combine a Day ticket with a Dal Voordeel, Dal Vrij, Altijd Voordeel, Weekend Vrij or Voordeelurenabonnement on your OV-chipkaart. If you put a Day ticket on your OV-chipkaart, you will travel on the Day ticket the first time you check in again and not on your season ticket.
All products are subject to terms and conditions.
General terms and conditions for the carriage of Passengers and hand luggage of Nederlandse Spoorwegen (PDF, 231 kB in Dutch)
You can buy a Day ticket from:
- NS ticket machines;
- NS service counters.
You can put a Day ticket on your personal or anonymous OV-chipkaart. If you do not have an OV-chipkaart, or if it is due to run out in the next 8 weeks, you can order a personal or anonymous OV-chipkaart for € 7,50. We will send your OV-chipkaart to your home within 7 working days. The anonymous OV-chipkaart can also be purchased from NS ticket machines and service counters.
Order a personal or anonymous OV-chipkaart (in Dutch)
Single-use smart card
If you do not have an OV-chipkaart, you can travel with a single-use smart card. You can purchase these from NS ticket machines. There is a € 1 surcharge.
Find out more about single-use smart cards (in Dutch)
Checking in and out
Hold your card up to the free-standing post or gate to check in for your train journey; then repeat the process to check out again when you reach your destination. You need to check in and out with each operator, i.e. if you change to bus, tram or metro. You should check out at an NS card reader before checking in with another operator. If you are travelling out of the country, you do not need to check in or out in the Netherlands.
Do I still need to check in and out with a Day return on my OV-chipkaart?
Yes, you must always check in and out with a Day return on a single-use smart card.
You need to do this to be eligible for a refund if you are delayed. Unless you check in and out as you should, you will not be eligible for a refund if you are delayed.
What domestic tickets are valid with/available from NS?
The table below shows all the tickets NS sells and/or are valid on NS trains (NS Passengers), and also what other operators accept them on their trains.
Available tickets with NS (PDF, 32,8 kB)
What international tickets are valid with/available from NS to travel on the Dutch section?
The table below shows all domestic tickets which NS sells and/or are valid on NS trains, plus on what other trains and by what foreign operators they are accepted.
Table of domestic tickets available with NS (PDF, 48 kB)