Travelling by train but don't have an OV-chipkaart? Simple!
How it works
- Order your ticket online and pay with iDEAL
- Download your ticket and print it in A4 format.
- Checking in is not necessary. Gates can be opened using the barcode
- NS e-tickets are personal. As a result, they are only valid in combination with a valid proof of identity. Do not forget to bring your passport or ID card with you when travelling.
- Children from 4 to 11 years of age, who are travelling with a Railrunner, do not have to show valid proof of identity. However, their name, date of birth and the date of travel are shown on the e-ticket
You can buy an e-ticket quickly and easily. You fill in the journey details and the name of the passenger, and then pay for your order with iDEAL. You can then download and print the e-ticket yourself. You can board the train with this ticket.
After clicking on Order directly you select a route and choose to travel first or second class. You also enter the journey date here. The price automatically changes based on your choices.
The e-ticket is personalised. As a result, it is only valid in combination with valid proof of identity (passport, ID card or driver's license).
It is also important that the name and date of birth on your ticket correspond with the information on your ID. When ordering a ticket for someone else, fill in their details instead of your own.
You can pay safely and securely with iDEAL. iDEAL is available to almost all customers of Dutch consumer banks.
Printing the e-ticket
After finalising your order, you can download and print your tickets within 15 minutes. Immediately after payment, you can proceed to your personal page, and you will also receive a confirmation email from us. This email includes a link which you can use to access your tickets whenever you need them.
- Print the ticket in A4 format and in portrait (otherwise the barcode will not work)
- Check whether the ticket is legible
E-tickets are only valid if they are legible and printed in the correct format.
Proof of identity
NS e-tickets are personal. As a result, they are only valid in combination with a valid proof of identity. Do not forget to bring your passport or ID card when travelling.
You do not need to check in with your e-ticket, but increasing numbers of stations are fitted with closed gates. You can open the gates using the square barcode on your e-ticket.
Make sure that you choose a gate with a barcode reader. These feature an image with 'scan ticket' on the right hand door of the gate, and an illuminated surface on the right hand side of the gate.
Step by step guide: how to open a gate with an e-ticket
Step 1: Go to a gate with the 'scan ticket' symbol.
Step 2: Hold the barcode against the illuminated surface on the right hand side.
Step 3: The gate will open and you can enter or leave the station.
- The e-ticket is valid for the journey, the date and the class that are shown on the e-ticket
- The e-ticket is only valid when printed in A4 format
- The e-ticket is your ticket. For this reason, your should keep your e-ticket until leaving the station at which you arrive. For example, you might need it to open a gate.
Trial mobile tickets
As of 1 June, we have started a trial in which Single and Return tickets are available as mobile tickets. Mobile tickets are loaded in the Reisplanner Xtra travel planner app. This app is available for smartphones with Android 4.0 or Apple iOS 8 or higher. Want to know more?
Route with supplement?
Will you be travelling on an Intercity or ICE for which a supplement is required? Then you must purchase this supplement from a machine or at the service desk. You can also quickly and easily buy supplements from the Supplement column on the departure platform. You can also buy Intercity supplements online as e-tickets
Refunds for delays
The rule for ‘Refunds for delays’ also applies to e-tickets. More information about refunds for delays
- An e-ticket with 40% discount is only available to customers with a Jaartraject- or Grensabonnement
- You cannot cancel ordered e-tickets or exchange them for money.
- The email sent to you as confirmation is not your e-ticket. You print the actual e-ticket out as your ticket. You cannot travel using a print-out of your confirmation message
- E-tickets look different to tickets that were not bought online, but they have the same validity and in most cases share the same terms and conditions.
All products are subject to terms and conditions.
E-ticket terms and conditions (PDF, 555 kB in Dutch)
General terms and conditions for the carriage of Passengers and hand luggage of Nederlandse Spoorwegen (PDF, 231 kB in Dutch)
Is it necessary to check in with my e-ticket?
You do not have to check in with your e-ticket. If the gates are closed at your station, then you can use the ticket to open them.
I have entered incorrect information for my e-ticket.
You can still change the details any time until you have completed your order. Once you have completed your order though, you cannot change them any more.
What proof of identity does NS accept?
As proof of identity, NS accepts your:
- driver's licence;
- Community or European ID card;
- marriage certificate;
- extract from register of births.
The link to my e-ticket does not work
It may be the security settings on your computer are too high. To change your security menu, go to your start menu and select the options below:
- configuration screen;
- internet options;
- level used.
You have now reduced the security level on your computer temporarily.
I have not had any e-mail confirmation of my e-ticket.
On the Confirm order screen for your e-ticket, you will also see the link to your e-ticket. You can download your e-ticket directly via this link and print it. You will also receive a confirmation by e-mail, with a link to your e-ticket. This e-mail is for your own records.
It may be that your e-mail software thinks this e-mail confirmation is spam or unwanted mail. You may also have reached your mailbox capacity. Check your settings.
If you are using a work e-mail address, it may be that your employer's firewall is blocking the e-mail confirmation. Contact your system administrator or call NS Customer service on 030 751 5155. Our staff will then send the e-mail to another address you give us.
If your e-mail software is working OK, check your records to see if the amount has been debited. If it has not, that means your order has not gone through.
If the amount has been debited, contact us. Make sure you have as many details of your e-ticket and payment with you to hand.
I have had an e-ticket by mail, but I did not order anything.
If the name on the ticket matches your details, then someone has ordered a ticket in your name. If not, then whoever ordered the e-ticket probably made a mistake when entering their e-mail address. In that case, you can delete the e-mail.